Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Noob first time LV trip report

(been lurking for a few months and decided post - dont be too harsh. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
Well first time in Vegas this past super bowl weekend and had a blast. Played live poker plenty of times before but only in AC. The vegas trip was with my fiance and another couple who unfortunately none of which play poker.

I had limited time for a few sessions so I really had to do more "vegas-y" tourist stuff, as opposed to my AC trips with the boys in which we eat at food courts primarily and play the entire day.
My bankroll only allows 1-2NL and some small stakes Limit but that was enough to have fun.

Sat down at the Venetian, which was very nice and roomy. Super annoying guy to my left talked on the phone with his girl for over 30 minutes. Oddly enough, he played in several hands while on the phone and explaining to his gf that "he doesnt love to gamble, so dont be mad baaaby." Weird. Made a few bucks, nothing interesting.

Next session was at MGM in which I had "one of those days."
It appeared as though one other guy and myself were the only guys on vacation at this table although I may be wrong. I made a bad read - thought I was being bullied - and lost quite a bit of my stack on my aces vs. a set of 7's. Doh. My best hand was my J10 straight that ended up being a split pot so I didnt win anything. Had 8's beat by 9's etc. /typical losing session story.

Last place I played was excalibur, in which I pretty much broke even. Very friendly, kinda hokey dealers there. Much more laid back atmosphere and less serious than the other two rooms. Had someone try to go all in playing limit. Gotta love that guy.

Anyways, I need to plan a trip with the boys that allows much more poker much less eating expensive dinners
Thanks for reading if you are still awake. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Noob first time LV trip report

Nice report. I also played my first time at poker in Vegas at Superbowl -- played blackjack lots of times before but the various table games departments have tired of my patronage. I played Wynn and Bellagio. I've only played live previously in Biloxi. My other poker experience is internet play. Small stakes players in Vegas are tight compared to Biloxi but maybe everybody's tight compared to Biloxi, I haven't got enough experience to tell. I came away with a small win of a few hundred, with surprisingly little variance.

I was surprised and a little offended that swearing and racist remarks were permitted in Wynn -- even racist remarks aimed at the dealer. In Biloxi you get a warning of "language" if any f-bombs are dropped. Comments about race are just Not Done because you will have every race at your table and we've all got to get along. One of my seatmates at Wynn ranted for almost 3 hours straight about women, Mexicans, and Asians, and he had bad breath too. I didn't mind taking his money one tiny bit. I told him not to come to Biloxi if he dislikes Asians. They are the action players. Another player talked to the floor and tried to have him removed, but to no avail. But I guess you've got to get used to headgames if you want to play poker.

One of the Wynn dealers was pretty clever. I think he was an Asian but when the bigot started in on his Mexican rant, the guy spoke up and said that he was Mexican. Then when the guy ranted that they should only let Europeans in the Wynn, the dealer asked sweetly, "Are you a European, sir?" It was pretty hilarious.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:04 PM

The bigot would hate Orleans in Vegas. Dealers from many different nationalities. Seemed like a real nice place, huge room - but it was kind of out of the way. I have no idea where it was as some friends of ours who live in Vegas drove us there.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The bigot would hate any poker room on the west coast. Dealers from many different nationalities.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP and how true it is.