Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 02:55 AM

Default JJ Tricky FTOPS Hand

140 Left and this troubling hand comes up. Villan 1 is pretty loose and aggressive. Villan 2 is playing ABC tight poker.
Blinds 1k/2k with antes total pot preflop is 5k.
Hero: 28k, Villan 1 10k, Villan 2 25k
Hero JJ UTG, raises to 5k, Villan 1 goes all in, Villan 2 goes all in. Folds to Hero, costing me 20k into a 43kish pot. Hero???

Hero's Thoughts: With an M of 6 I can't wait for Aces everytime so I have to play all my hands for all their worth, however with a tight ABC player coming over the top I am having a hard time determing how often this could be with hands like AJ-AK 99-AA trying to Isolate and pick up dead money. What do you guys think I should have done?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: JJ Tricky FTOPS Hand

My $.02.
What was your table image?
Was everybody folding to a 2.5BB EP raise? What was your plan if called/raised? Would you shove any flop or fold if overcards and lose almost 25% of your stack?

With your low M I would open shove with the intent of picking off the blinds/antes and adding 20% to my stack and figure I'm in decent shape if called. Always easier to shove EP than call an EP shove.

My natural style is TAG so if I'm villian 2 I read your play as mediocre holdings and want to ISO villian 1 who is most certainly shoving any 2 since he will be posting blinds in the next couple of hands. I make this move with 88+, A8o+, any Broadway cards down to J9o and expect my table image to drive you off. If you limped in I would be very worried about your holdings expecting you to come over the top of any raise, if you open shoved I fold anything less than JJ AQs unless you've been very, very LAG.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:32 PM

This is obviously a call and not close with 2 to 1 pot odds. It would actually be a call against everyone but the tightest players w/o overlay odds. Next time just open shove b.c w/ your stack you are easily outplayed by bigger stacks on most flops. Limp-shoving is a decent alternative option with your stack if the table is raising every pot and the limp doesn't appear to be too suspicious that everyone will just limp behind and force a shutdown on any unfriendly flop.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:01 PM

You just can't raise fold in this spot, limp/reraise, raise call, or open push are all viable but not raise/fold.