Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Best Line Following Check-Raised Overpair

5/10 B&M

Red Queens on button, MP and CO limp, I raise, only they call.

Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Checked to me, I bet, MP folds, CO check-raises. CO seems a bit on the tighter side preflop, but I don't know much about his postflop play as he hasn't been involved in many pots. Which of the following is superior:

1) 3-bet right away.
2) Call planning to raise the turn (if so, what turn cards are you raising?).
3) Call every street, but bet if he checks.
4) A line not mentioned.

Normally, I 3-bet, but he might be trying some goofy semi-bluff/freecard OOP hoping I hold overcards (some players have been trying this rather frequently the past 2 hours and the table including CO thought it was cool.), in which case I might get more out of him if I wait for the turn.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Best Line Following Check-Raised Overpair

just depends on my mood. sometimes I raise the flop right away, or sometimes I wait until the turn.

It really doesn't matter much, just don't fold [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2007, 11:24 PM

4) Hem, haw, look obviously disgusted, finally throw a call into the pot. Then gleefully raise his turn follow-up, only to have him call and then face another bet when the jack pairs on the river.

Seriously, though, I'm with Hip on this one. Sometimes 3bet the flop, sometimes wait to raise the turn, every once in a while just call down. Generally speaking, with position in a heads up pot I'm more apt to wait for the turn.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4) Hem, haw, look obviously disgusted, finally throw a call into the pot. Then gleefully raise his turn follow-up, only to have him call and then face another bet when the jack pairs on the river.

Seriously, though, I'm with Hip on this one. Sometimes 3bet the flop, sometimes wait to raise the turn, every once in a while just call down. Generally speaking, with position in a heads up pot I'm more apt to wait for the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you wait for the turn and flush card hits and they 3-bet, what do you do?

If you wait for the turn and something that looks blank hits but they 3-bet, what do you do?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:06 AM

If no one else is in, I might not even raise the turn, rather wait to raise the river, as long as he is doing the betting. Usually when someone does this on the flop they have AJ and dont know how else to play it.

-J
Old 02-10-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you wait for the turn and something that looks blank hits but they 3-bet, what do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

if i don't know them to get out of line, you fold(unless you have an overpair with the appropriate suit of course, but that isn't the case here).

to OP: i'm regurgitating hippy and harvey, mix it up. usually the more drawy the board or the better the opponent the more i 3bet the flop.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if i don't know them to get out of line, you fold(unless you have an overpair with the appropriate suit of course, but that isn't the case here).

to OP: i'm regurgitating hippy and harvey, mix it up. usually the more drawy the board or the better the opponent the more i 3bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

really, the games I play in, when I 3bet the flop, I could have AK with just a BD flush draw, a flush draw, TP/TK, Overpair, Middle Pair/TK.

SO when I 3bet, it doesn't mean I Have anything good, it just means I have at least 2 overs [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really, the games I play in, when I 3bet the flop, I could have AK with just a BD flush draw, a flush draw, TP/TK, Overpair, Middle Pair/TK.

SO when I 3bet, it doesn't mean I Have anything good, it just means I have at least 2 overs [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.