Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 07:46 PM

Default This makes me want to choke a dude

I have AJo in $3-6 curently 7 handed game. I raise three limpers (including Mr. Magoo, who has welding goggle sunglasses, a brown wool suit, and a Sherlock Holmes hat)on the button. The flop comes A8T rainbow. checked to me, I bet, 2 calls. Turn is 8. checked to me, I bet, two callers. River is a deuce. checked to me, I bet, and get 1 caller (Mr. Magoo). Mr. Magoo has AKs.

I have to restrain myself from choking the guy.

-J
Old 02-09-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: This makes me want to choke a dude

AJo is my least favorite hand in all of poker. I cant fold with it, I cry to raise with it, and I rarely win with it. Have fun though
Old 02-09-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
88 is my least favorite hand in all of poker. I cant fold with it, I cry to raise with it, and I rarely win with it. Have fun though

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-09-2007, 09:28 PM

wow, what a great example of a "trouble" hand. Before raising this (with 3 limpers), you should ask yourself a few questions: 1) Why did they limp? Are they bad players playing every hand, or are these decent players who limp decent hands? (Yes, including AKs, I do that often in early position). And 2) What is this raise going to accomplish? Are you going to scare everyone else out behind you, or are you are a table where 2 more people will cold call just because the pot looks enticing enough already, therefore building a big pot with many players with offsuit big cards?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have AJo in $3-6 curently 7 handed game. I raise three limpers (including Mr. Magoo, who has welding goggle sunglasses, a brown wool suit, and a Sherlock Holmes hat)on the button. The flop comes A8T rainbow. checked to me, I bet, 2 calls. Turn is 8. checked to me, I bet, two callers. River is a deuce. checked to me, I bet, and get 1 caller (Mr. Magoo). Mr. Magoo has AKs.

I have to restrain myself from choking the guy.

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post made me laugh

Mr. Magoo's attire is a tell. While I think you have to value bet that river 95% of the time, I think I check behind Mr. Magoo until I get to know him a little bit better.

That said, I don't think you can blame yourself for the way you played the hand. Mr. Magoo probably saved you a few bets by thinking you had AA for sure.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AJo is my least favorite hand in all of poker. I cant fold with it, I cry to raise with it, and I rarely win with it. Have fun though

[/ QUOTE ]

KQo and AJo are my two biggest problem hands. PT says I win with both of them, but it sure doesn't feel like it.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:40 PM

nh, standard

next time he will have A5 and muck.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:01 AM

Don't you know that AK is a "drawing hand" and that "you always lose with it" and "that is why you shouldn't raise with it". Sorry been playing in too many live passive games.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:54 AM

Choke him. Not at all. I would thank him. I've seen this type of play several times. Once some guy flopped a set and didn't reraise me with my TPTK Q. Another time a guy flopped a straight. Yes I lost the hand but because of his poor play I got off cheap. I think you want to play this guy whenever you sit down at a table.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:50 AM

I know, but extremely passive play gets on my last nerve. Also tight old people who dont like to bet their good hands because they crave action. I felt like I just got [censored] up the ass by a weird old man wearing welding goggles, a sherlock holmes hat, and a brown wool suit.

-J