Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Easiest river fold ever?

What hand could he possibly do this with that I beat? I gotta learn to fold in these spots, lol.

Easy fold or would it require some thought or insta-call because of pot odds?

c/c river = better line?

Stats: 46.24/20.43/93 hands

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero ($214.20)
Button ($97.90)
SB ($210.25)
BB ($61.35)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, Button calls $7, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($17) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, Button calls $12.

Turn: ($41) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($41) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, Button calls $78.90 (All-In), Hero thinks and...
Old 02-09-2006, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Easiest river fold ever?

him checking behind on the turn here means he either flopped or turned a set, you're drawing to 3 outs, easy fold
Old 02-09-2006, 08:39 PM

Easy fold. There are only 4 hands you beat that he would reasonably make this move w/.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
him checking behind on the turn here means he either flopped or turned a set, you're drawing to 3 outs, easy fold

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you so sure of this? Wouldn't he bet it somewhere with all those draws?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:18 PM

These spots are kinda weird. I always ask my self would he value push a worse hand. My thought is no. So really you only beat a bluff even though it appears that you have a strong hand. Your line does make it appear that you are weak so he could be bluffing. But if you want to call here you should be calling with TT+ and an 8. SO my answer would be if you would call with TT then call, but if you would fold TT then fold. (My thinking is a little off because you hold an ace it makes him less likely to hold one)
Old 02-09-2006, 11:47 PM

interesting. what do you guys think about leading turn? i kinda don't know why I didn't. usually I do. maybe I was going for a c/r? idk
Old 02-10-2006, 01:03 AM

I'm far from thinking this is an easy fold. A lot of times a large pocket pair would be played the way the guy did, and seeing you check the turn and another ace hit on the river might make him think you're less likely to have an ace.

Obviously, any insight into how the guy has been playing would help. But I just don't see this being easy.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:04 AM

Given his flop and turn action, it seems like a very silly spot to bluff. If he wanted to takedown this pot, he would have made a stab on the turn, when you checked. Trying to bluff with his stack size/pot size/your river bet size, seems awfully silly. Although you line makes it look as if you don't have an A, and he could see the second A as a possible scare card. But if he had TT-KK, i think he would just call your river bet. And if he is bluffing, well that means he called your flop bet with air and that doesn't usually happen when PFR bets into an A hi board, and if he was floating you, he CERTAINLY would have bet the turn.

Also, since trip aces is the worst hand he would push with here (besides a bluff), you have no potential of scooping the pot. If he has a weaker ace than you, you split
Old 02-10-2006, 03:05 AM

Why would he have a big pair here? KK just calls this river anyway, IMO. If he is a thinker he might play TT this way, if he puts you on a larger pair. But I dont think so. I think your fold is good but its close, you might just have him outkicked
Old 02-10-2006, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you might just have him outkicked

[/ QUOTE ]

the 7 doesn't play in his hand. at best he's splitting