Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 AM

Default My Effin Home Game Got Robbed!

Ok, I don't host it, but its my regular Wednesday night game. I've played in it every Wednesday night barring vacations and occaisional conflicts for the past ten months.

And the only reason I wasn't there Wednesday, was I was blowing it off in favor of the Duke/Carolina game (to those of you who think that's screwed up priorities, I am a graduate of the finer of those two institutions...ya don't miss that game).

So Wed, no one of my rare no-shows to the game, three guys come in with guns and robbed it.

It's only a lousy .50/1.00 NL game for Christs sake. They made off with about 700 bucks. I'm aware of a half dozen much more lucrative higer stackes games around town just off the top of my head.

It really makes me sick to think that one of the players might have set that up. We have a pretty good pool of players. On any give night the game goes from 8pm to 4 am or later and we get at least 14 guys filtering through (about a quarter of the time we get enought at one time to break into two tables, the rest of the time guys leave and other guys come) so I expect that translates at least 40 and maybe more folks who play in it at least occaissionally and a small core of us who are there every time. So that's a lot of people who know about it.

My wife, by the way, is completely freaking out about it.

The other thing that sucks is that we have a regular thursday night league tourney, hosted at another place, which I don't play in much because I like playing cash better, but I showed up for thursday because of my Wed conflict, and the host had canceled that game because there is a ton of overlap between the players in that game and the one that got robbed and he was understandably nervous.

I have more to say, but I'm going to stop. I'm incredibly depressed. My weekly game is now dead (understandably, the host doesn't want to do it anymore) and I don't have a game to take its place. Because of job and family obligations, I only get out to play live once a week. And, while I know a great 1/2 game on Friday nights, I don't think its fair to my family to be gone every friday night.

Anyway, no advise or cautionary tale or anything, I just want to vent.

--Zetack
Old 02-09-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: My Effin Home Game Got Robbed!

[ QUOTE ]
My wife, by the way, is completely freaking out about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

Sucks you lost your game. If the guys playing are shady enough to set up a robbery for a game that small, you dont want to be playing with them anyways.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:25 PM

dude that blows. Something leaked out from someone in the game i'd say...
Old 02-09-2007, 01:27 PM

That was convenient you "decided" to skip out. I guess your share of the $700 wasn't worth it now that the game's dead huh?

Just kidding, that sucks man.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:13 PM

Why I stopped going to the "home game" near me:

Some of the hosts were doing lines of coke before the game.
Some old guy (60s - this is a game of college students) was selling white pills and beef jerky on the table
I inquire to one of my friends where these kids get their money. I am told "You don't want to know."

I, personally, am drug free and I have never done illegal drugs, so this all really bothers me.

This late 30s black thuggish looking guy keeps coming to watch. He's friendly so I don't think anything of it. Eventually one night someone asks him what he does.

His response?
"I just got out of 11 years of jail for armed robbery. I robbed a jewelry store."

This game usually has total cash holdings of 4-5 grand.

I'm never going back.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:14 PM

After a few days, when you are ready to talk about it, I have some questions for you. The answers might help other home games think about security:

1) Is the area the game was in a more likely robbery target than others? Would you have been as likely to get carjacked or mugged on the street?

2) How was the game advertised? Since it was every Wednesday, was that an easily-discovered fact (by the volume of cars)?

3) How were new players brought into the game?

I'd want to chase down the possibly source of this and (kill) cut off the robbers (maim). It could (destroy) happen again, at different area games. You don't want to let that happen, if possible.

Tough break for them, lucky break for you (except for the game death).
Old 02-09-2007, 02:22 PM

That is bad. Definitely one of the reasons I've been hesitant to join any home games around me. It's hard to justify walking into a strangers house with a few hundred or so on your person when you know no one.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is bad. Definitely one of the reasons I've been hesitant to join any home games around me. It's hard to justify walking into a strangers house with a few hundred or so on your person when you know no one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, THAT explains it! Of course, we're not that close to you... so what's the deal? :P
Old 02-09-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This late 30s black thuggish looking guy keeps coming to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't every home game have a late 30s, black, thuggish looking guy railbirding that just got out of an 11 year stint for armed robbery?

So, so standard.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Some old guy (60s - this is a game of college students) was selling white pills and beef jerky on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI: That wasn't beef jerky.