Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Late in a Live SuperSat for a WPT seat

Tourney is a $125 rebuy w/ 160 entrants.
Prize structure is as follows:
1-4th = 10k WPT Shooting Stars Seat plus $300
5th - $5k cash
6th - $2k cash
7th - $1k cash
8th - $800
9th - $600

We are down to two tables. 10 handed at ours. The whole field is shallow stacked. Blinds are 2k-4k. I have 25k after posting the 4k BB. I was a larger than average stack. There were two players at our table who had larger stacks.
I hadn't shown anything of note, though about a half hour before, I was caught stealing the blinds w/ 75o when I didn't realize that the BB only had 2x and had to show. I think I called an allin w/ AQ and doubled through AJ a little while after that. I opened about once an orbit or so. Nothing particularly distinctive about my play, though.

Chip leader is 35 yr old asian guy who thinks just enough to be dangerous to himself. He's certainly trying to figure out what people have, but probably doesn't stop to consider what he's repping. Typical regular live small tourney player. Capable of laying a hand down but not overly tight or aggro. Has opened a few times after doubling up vs anther largish stack in a standard race hand.
He has 40k.

There are a handful of really short stacks and blinds are 20 min levels and recently went up.

Obviously, I only care about top 5, but at least half the remaining field would rrreaally like to cash after playing for 5 hrs. My plan was to tighten up until the shorties busted out to solidify a tightening image, then get aggro on the bubble from 15-9 in hopes of getting to the FT w/ a big enough stack to ease the pressure.

Button (chip leader) opens for a min-raise to 8k. First time he had minraised preflop.
As SB is thinking, I look down at J4s and prepare to muck.

SB thinks for about 15 seconds and button, who is in the 10 seat, leans forward and looks around the dealer at the SB in the 1 seat and says, "Cheap, cheap".
SB smiles and nods and finally mucks.

I decide to shove. Thoughts?

(it's 21k more for him to call and the pot is laying him about about 1.75, though I doubt he knows that. He would have 11k if he calls and loses).
Old 02-09-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Late in a Live SuperSat for a WPT seat

Summary: I had a strong live read and decided to go with it.

I would have probably been inclined to push before the guy on the button opened his mouth but after he said "cheap, cheap" I might have been swayed to fold. That said, you were there and this is definitely a 'go with your read' situation.

His minraising range could reasonably be the top 50% of hands and his calling range might only be the top 6% of hands so mathematically your play is hugely +cEV, but you know that already. Because you are picking up so many chips and because you are not directly against the bubble your push is also +$EV
Old 02-09-2007, 01:55 AM

The problem is, if he has any kind of hand he will probably feel comitted to call. The other problem is if you do get called u have a TERRIBLE hand. Your money is about to go in with a hi-lo hand for your tournament life. I think you would have been better off waiting for a better hand/spot.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have probably been inclined to push before the guy on the button opened his mouth but after he said "cheap, cheap" I might have been swayed to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the only reason I jammed. I think that is generally a reliable tell from a player who wouldn't know to give off a fake tell. Whatever he had, that shot up a red flag for me that he really didn't want me to push on him...classic strong means weak.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is, if he has any kind of hand he will probably feel comitted to call. The other problem is if you do get called u have a TERRIBLE hand. Your money is about to go in with a hi-lo hand for your tournament life. I think you would have been better off waiting for a better hand/spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

My intuition (which is all you can really go off of 'in the moment' when you have to make a decision to bluff in the same tempo as you would jam w/ AK) told me that he would have a tough decision w/ a hand as strong as AJ or 88. Given that I felt his range was much wider and much more polarized (the cheap cheap thing combined w/ the minraise felt to me like trash or monster) I think it's a decent jam.
If I make him think long and hard about a hand like KQ, and since I'm rarely going to be totally dominated, I think it's +ev (chip and $).

This was from a few weeks ago, and I didn't initially post it since, as fuji said, it's a very read based play.