Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 09:18 PM

Default How bad is this blind defense with 22?

Absolute $1/$2 4 handed
Villain is 24/20/10 over a measly 30 hands, so he's shown aggression but other than that I have no read.

Folded to Villain OTB who raises, SB folds, Hero in BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3-bets, Villain calls

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero calls

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Hero bets, Villain calls

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Hero checks, Villain bets, Hero folds

What other route could I have taken on this? I'm pretty sure the river fold is correct since pretty much the only thing I can beat here is a busted straight draw. Don't really see how else I could have gone about this except maybe a check-raise on the turn, but I think that's spewing a little much. Overall the hand just doesn't feel right. Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: How bad is this blind defense with 22?

yah i dont think JT or something is enough to call the river

i usually just fold the flop unless he raises the flop on me constantly AND takes lots of freecards when hes got nothing. even then though with ur hand on this board if he freecards u dont have an easy river vb since he could ck behind many weak but better hands. so even if u call and he checks the turn ur forced to ck fold again so ur really hoping for quite a lot calling the flop raise.

I dont mind the turn bet but ur hoping he folds whatever he raised the flop with 1:5 which seems marginal to me at best. Id prefer it if u had just called preflop and his flop cb I think (altho ur odds would be worse then).

as for preflop I sometimes 3bet low pairs in the BB vs a stealer down to 3s vs opponents who dont peel every flop, it seems to work out alrite. I havent with 22 tho not sure why exactly though.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 PM

I like calling preflop, then either checkraising flop folding to 3bet or c/c an donk the turn.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 PM

Yeah I think I need to lay off reraising from the BB in general and call more often. I don't quite defend as much as I should and when I do it's usually with a raise as is in my nature to be pretty aggressive heads up. Calling more often shall be added to the repertoire.

jstill that's kind of funny with the diff between 33 and 22, I'm like that in certain spots too where there's not like a huge drop in ev but there's just that line I won't cross.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:55 AM

I'd just call PF. As played fold the flop. Once you get to the turn I wouldn't bother with the stab unless you was planning on calling a turn bet anyway, which I don't think you should be.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folded to Villain OTB who raises, SB folds, Hero in BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3-bets. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]Three betting with the lowest possible pair and only one other player in so sets have little value. Hmmm.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero calls

[/ QUOTE ] Betting and calling a raise from a guy who just called your 3bet preflop. Hmmm.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Hero bets, Villain calls

[/ QUOTE ]Betting again now that an ace comes. Hmmm. Well that didn't work.

[ QUOTE ]
River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Hero checks, Villain bets, Hero folds

[/ QUOTE ]This street makes sense.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't really see how else I could have gone about this except maybe a check-raise on the turn, but I think that's spewing a little much.

[/ QUOTE ]Ya think?

[ QUOTE ]
Overall the hand just doesn't feel right.

[/ QUOTE ]Really? I wonder why?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:49 PM

I just call preflop and c/c or c/r most flops. After that it depends.

As played I would just c/f that turn.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:57 PM

Hand is fine until the turn bet. If he raises you on the flop it's either with a better pair, or A high. So just check-fold the turn.

I do 3-bet with low PPs in this situation, but unless villian and I have a history, I absolutely respect any raise he may make postflop.

In these types of situations at the lower levels I think most villians tend to play very honestly.

Do you guys agree?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:34 PM

if you're going to 3-bet and c/bet the flop, I don't see why you would call a raise.

In 98% of the time, I just call preflop and c/f the flop.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:40 PM

this is terribly played