Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2006, 07:17 PM

Default Do I muck the river?

Villain 50/20/1.1...I have a hard time getting away from these sorts of hands, and I get the sense that this sort of thing is important in my development as a player...can I seriously muck 2 pair? Hypothetically Should I muck top pair here?

One of my questions is the role of aggression factor...1.1 seems low, and a raise here must mean some strength, but how much?

(Shameless brag to follow) I somehow made _____1_____'s 10/20 list...I was startled, but pleased. I need to post more hands...I have the fewest hands of anyone commenting here by miles and want to change that... Must have been running well...

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 02-09-2006, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Do I muck the river?

You played it fine. There's no way you can muck a good 2 pair in a sb vs bb battle on that board. And 1.1 aggression isn't low considering he has a vpip of 50. With a higher vpip, you are playing with lower quality holdings and expect to be less aggressive. He could easily have a hand like J8 of clubs.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:31 PM

Would you muck 1 pair here? Say if I had a king?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:59 PM

Was this your first blind battle wiht this player? Was he passive in the SB preflop, or can we narrow his range based on his preflop limp? I would expect a 50/20 to raise KK, JJ, 99, 88, 55, KJ, QT preflop, basically all the hands that are beating you by the river.

76 already got there on the turn, but maybe he went into slowplay mode because he didn't want you to run away after his preflop cap (actually, that hand makes sense from this type of player.)

Basically, by the river I'm confused and call. I'd probably call with my other big one pair kings here too. I'd expect to see a desperation bluff from a club draw, a strangely played AA, J8, or ?? enough from this player to make the call okay.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:59 PM

His 98 no gooood.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:10 PM

We would go at it pretty good...He would call me down with very little, pick on my BB when the player in between us was gone, etc...one of the frustrating things is to check your ego a the door and just play good poker...it can be an expensive lesson at times. Going through PT I had some horrific hands from that session where I I spewed BB's against other players (and him) because of machismo and igonoring the evidence that I was behind...sometimes waaaay behind.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We would go at it pretty good...He would call me down with very little, pick on my BB when the player in between us was gone, etc...one of the frustrating things is to check your ego a the door and just play good poker...it can be an expensive lesson at times. Going through PT I had some horrific hands from that session where I I spewed BB's against other players (and him) because of machismo and igonoring the evidence that I was behind...sometimes waaaay behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've learned that lesson as well. When your mindset turns from "I'm better than this guy" to "I'm better than this guy and I'm going to prove it to him" you are in danger of spewing.

In this hand, if shows KJ at the end, oh well. If he shows 76 or KK, realize that he saved you money with his weird line since he could have easily gotten a three bet in on the turn, and in KK's case another SB preflop.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You played it fine. There's no way you can muck a good 2 pair in a sb vs bb battle on that board. And 1.1 aggression isn't low considering he has a vpip of 50. With a higher vpip, you are playing with lower quality holdings and expect to be less aggressive. He could easily have a hand like J8 of clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-10-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I somehow made _____1_____'s 10/20 list

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is this list?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:56 AM

The stats alone make this a call for me. His action is odd enough I'd call against a tag and take a note.