Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 01:06 PM

Default People who badmouth their significant other

I've always disliked people who will come and burden me with problems they are having with their significant other. I find it to be very disrespectful. If my wife and I ever get into an argument the last thing I would want to do is go and badmouth her to coworkers/friends. I'm the type of person who, if my wife and I have any issue at all that bothers me, I'll resolve it right then and there with her.

Is talking down about your significant other considered just standard and acceptable in society? I'm not even talking about the people who come in and tell me that their spouse is cheating on them. I'm talking about the people who, over lunch, will constantly bring up small yet hurtful things about their significant other without giving it a second thought.

Why do people do this? Do they just not realize it? Is it not a big deal to others?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: People who badmouth their significant other

ser william,

I know so many girls who do this but not many guys who do it. I have a skewed perspective though since I tend to hang out and chat with girls mostly.

In my experience, men are very respectful towards their mates. I guess they only badmouth their S.O. to other guys maybe? Actually, I've never really heard of that either.

I know a girl who was so disrespectful and mean behind her husband's back that I couldn't stand to be around her. It was awkward because I never knew how to respond. They had a very sad relationship.

I think some people do it because they are trying to just talk out their frustrations and vent but really it is pretty tacky.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:05 PM

Here is something that happened to me once. A girl I was seeing started saying some bad things about me behind my back. Saying things that I didnt even do to one of her girl friends. Sure we had had some problems but nothing like what she blew it into.

After her and I broke it off I found out about this from her girl friend and now her and I have become good friends and we were talking just yesterday on the phone and she brought it up saying: "all that stuff XXX said about you isnt even close to true and I couldnt ever imagine you being that way at all" "Why would she say that crap?" I never really knew why she did and now I dont care but looking back at it some it was kinda hurtful and I think this is really bad to do regardless if you are in the relationship or out of the relationship. Oh well, I'm glad its over.

X
Old 02-08-2007, 02:14 PM

If I ever learned my SO was discussing our private life with co-workers or random friends, she'd be an ex-SO. If she has a problem with me, she should to ME about it, not her friends.

Oh, and this is just assuming I actually HAD a SO right now. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2007, 02:16 PM

Dom dont you have a long distance SO now? or is that in the works?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:42 PM

No kidding Dom, I thought we established that fact a few days ago. Things on the fritz already???

Feel free to vent and badmouth her here...
Old 02-08-2007, 02:44 PM

Just make sure you only talk in hypotheticals about "friends". As long as you never actually say you're talking about her it's all copacetic. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No kidding Dom, I thought we established that fact a few days ago. Things on the fritz already???

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, good one man.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dom dont you have a long distance SO now? or is that in the works?

[/ QUOTE ]

we're in the "sorta" stage, so I'm not counting it right now!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hard to bad-mouth someone you never see. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]