Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Betting Bottom Two Strongly

I witnessed a hand at my regular game the other night that I'd like some feedback on.

It's a $2/5 game and the effective stacks are $500. Four players limp into the pot, the small blind completes and the big blind checks. The flop comes Kh6d2d. The small blind checks and the big blind leads out for $20 with 6c2c. A middle position player calls and the button raises to $120. What is the big blind's play?

K6 and K2 would not be suprising holdings from the button in this generally loose game. KK, 66, and 22 are all unlikely, but still possible. The button's raise appeared to me to be an attempt to protect a (likely) semi-strong King or KdXd or a raise for value with a hand stronger than the small blinds. Against a strong King the small blind is way ahead, but against KdXd he is in a coin-flip situation assuming the player in the middle is sqeezed out.

So play it cautiously and call? Aggressively and raise or push? Considering he has only a minimal investment in the pot, would a fold, while perhaps ultra-conservative, be all that wrong?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Betting Bottom Two Strongly

I usually call, look for a safe turn (no king, no diamond)... push on turn.

PS... I hate bottom two.