Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:53 AM

Default FH v Quads - Can you ever get away?

Following hand was in an MTT, but I've been in similar positions in STTs.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t2070)
UTG+1 (t1010)
MP1 (t1190)
MP2 (t5960)
MP3 (t1360)
CO (t2140)
Button (t3415)
SB (t2175)
BB (t1320)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises to t90</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t75, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t210) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t90</font>, SB calls t90

Turn: (t390) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t270</font>, SB calls t270

River: (t930) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t1725 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t1620 (All-in)

Villain: shows [8s 6s] (four of a kind, Eights)

Intuitively I am certain he has quads. I called because I think the probability of him having a Q is greater than the probability of him having an 8. I felt zero surprise at the show down. Looking at the betting, could I have legitimately concluded he had quads and folded, or is this an inevitable situation? First 10 mins of trny, so I have no reliable reads on villain.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: FH v Quads - Can you ever get away?

I am not folding that

I dont like your bet sizing though
bet more on every street

i'd probably raise a bit more preflop as well
Old 02-08-2007, 11:57 AM

I go broke everytime

bet more like 2/3 3/4 pot on the flop etc.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:02 PM

You're right, the probability is just too low. You win this hand way to many times to let it go.

Definitely bet more on the flop. Preflop, UTG, I'd either limp if I thought a raise was coming, or raise more, to prevent geniuses like this one calling (or get more value when they do).
Old 02-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Easy fold, what else besides Quads could Villain have?
I would wait until i get Quads by myself...

Seriously, this is a bad beat post. You know that prolly none of us is good enough (stupid enough?!) to laydown KK here and follow a sick read, although i wish i would be so. The possibility of him having QQ here makes it not trivial. But exspecially in a multi you have to go broke here. Villain has a single Q or other crap to often.

So what do you wanna hear OP? IMO you have to bet more on every street, in order to get it in.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:20 PM

My rationale for the bets: This early I want to see a flop with my Ks. At this table my UTG raise to 90 was a huge bet - it was a complete limp fest. 120 PF would have got no callers from the marginal hands. 90 on Flop because I'm OOP and looking to get raised, in which case I shove over the top. On turn I bet 2/3 the pot, because I think he raises me with an 8 and I can get away.

Early in an MTT I'm happy to take more risks than in an STT to chip up.

This wasn't about the bad beat, 50 a day, who cares? It was about intution v probability. I seem to be developing an A game and a B game. When playing my A game, I think that I can lay down the Ks in this spot. My B game is crying calls etc. I think that this was an easy fold, but I was on my B game so I called. The fact that I think it was an easy fold interests me, because I was fairly sure that very few other 2+2ers would think the same.

2+2 is the reason I have an A game, what I'm now trying to do is play it more often ....
Old 02-08-2007, 12:26 PM

We have an entire forum dedicated to analyzing MTT hands. Please post MTT hands there.

The call is fine. I can assure you he has a queen, some random hand like a flush that he thinks he's value shoving, or is bluffing a far greater percentage of the time than he has an 8.

Thread locked.
Closed Thread