Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 10:16 AM

Default 2 NL10 hands. Did I bet too much?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
6 players

Stack sizes:
UTG: $5.90
UTG+1: $6.60
CO: $1.60
Button: $16.25
Hero: $10
BB: $10.75

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, <font color="red">Button raises to $0.5</font>, Hero calls, 2 folds.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1.2, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.7</font>, <font color="red">Button raises to $1.6</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5.5</font>, Button folds.
Uncalled bets: $3.9 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $4.4

---

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
6 players

Stack sizes:
UTG: $9.35
UTG+1: $10.30
CO: $1.90
Button: $5.95
SB: $8.35
Hero: $16.90

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $0.6</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($1.2, 2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets $1.2</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="red">SB raises all-in $7.75</font>, Hero calls.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: 2 NL10 hands. Did I bet too much?

Hand 1: Just call the raise and keep betting the following streets. You don't want him to fold. You want to extract money as the hand goes along cuz you're not likely to be beat with this hand.

Hand 2: On this hand, you don't even have a made hand yet. Just call the SB bet and play the hand. No sense in trying to push him out. You want to hit your flush or straight and then extract money.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:55 PM

So when would you push a draw?
Old 02-08-2007, 03:14 PM

1: don't slow play this like the 1st response said, the board is somewhat coordinated, I like your raise, maybe make it a bit less so as not to scare him off, but this is fine.

2: I push this, you have a monster draw (your A is probably good too)
[ QUOTE ]
So when would you push a draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

when I'm a favourite to win by the river or I think I have alot of FE (more FE needed for weaker draws, obviously), preferably both.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:22 PM

*Grunch*

Here the button is probably putting you on AK so he is challenging what he percieves as your continuation bet. I like your line here because if he did catch a big piece of the flop, he is probably going to call. He could easily have AQ, kq, qj, k-10 and if he does, you may be alright. I guess my point is, bet big with the set because if he has any of these hands, chances are he will call. If he is trying to snap off your c-bet, you are not going to get much more out of him anyway. Over the long haul, I think you get more value for your set by following this path. I know it sucks to have him fold there. Just my 2 cents and the rationale for my 2 cents on the first hand.

Hand 2 -

Shaky call with Baby Ace suited for 6 x bb heads up. Your implied odds aren't even that great as you can't even double up on the hand. In nl, that is what you are playing the suited ace for - implied odds. When you do flop a great draw or a monster - you hopefully will double up or better. I don't see that here. You call call from the BB and flop a flush draw and a gutshot - I believe your opponent has an overpair of some sort. I just call the pot sized bet on the flop. This will have one of two effects - You are the BB - if the SB was on two overs, he may give up and check to you on the turn. If not, you will face another pot sized or larger bet on the turn. This can be almost like a call bluff but actually it is a call semi-bluff. I find that at the $10nl game, if I have position, the call bluff is effective and you may even catch your flush draw. I may have to fold to a missed draw and a big bet on the turn though.

I probably would have folded pf in the first place though.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:44 PM

Hand 1:
Perfect. Do not slowplay this hand. First off, the board is dangerous and villain could easily suck out. Secondly, the board is dangerous and a scary card could scare villain away from putting more money in the pot.

And bet/calling and then donking the turn (betting out) is stoopid.

Hand 2:
I don't like pf, but I don't hate it either since you have position. Do you have a read on the guy?

Rest of the hand is perfect.

On the flop you have 12 clean outs and 3 more dirty ones. You are actually a 55% favorite vs any pocket pair except Aces, so this is a very good spot for a flop raise.

Your raise accomplishes a few things.
1. You get value, since you often have the best hand.
2. You might induce a fold, which is good. Getting a hand like AK to fold here would be a coup, because right now, you're only marginally ahead of AK and he'd be giving up his equity in the pot by making a fold.
3. If villain just checks, you will almost always get a free card on the turn, which you should take imo, unless you think a turn bet is very likely to get him to fold. Getting a free card with such a strong drawing hand is very important because then he won't be able to price you off your draw.

When he pushes, it's just simple math. Pot is offering you huge odds (4.5:1). Mostly you are a favorite to win, sometimes you are a slight dog (1:1.3 vs Aces), very rarely he has a set, and you are a bigger dog, and very rarely he has a hand like K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] making you a huge favorite. Lets say the rare occurences cancel each other out. Then mostly you are slightly ahead or slightly behind (about 1:1) and the pot is offering you 4.5 times that so it's a clear call.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:46 PM

Hand 1: Against opponents whom habitually go too far with top pair your line will be a big winner. NH.

Hand 2: With draws this strong it is just about always correct to get the money in on the flop. Push. The only time not to push such a draw is when your opponent is truly awful (ie.allows you the correct price to draw by way of express or implied odds and offers 0 FE ) and is likely to quit should you double him up thus depriving you the opportunity of taking his $.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:49 PM

H1: perfect.
H2: what was the problem there?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:54 PM

Hand 1, I like leading for $1, $0.7 is a bit too small. As played, your line is fine. It's a dry board though, so a flop call and turn c/r all-in looks good as well. If it were like a T97 board with a flush draw, then your line is the only way to go.

Hand 2, very standard. A fold is too weak in position, a suited ace is a VERY strong hand HU. Flop is perfect, you've got a monster draw, likely 15 outs which would make you a favorite.