Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 03:47 AM

Default 8+Tabling Americans And 4 Tabling Europeans

Dont have hard evidence of this, but anecdotally from talking to players and observing who the super multitablers are, seems the grimstarrs almost entirely americans.

Why is this? Evidence of americans being more materialistic, Europeans prefer love of game and enjoyment, or is that too stereotypical?
Old 02-08-2007, 03:55 AM

Default Re: 8+Tabling Americans And 4 Tabling Europeans

I think Americans believe the more they work the further ahead they get and Europeans believe the less they work the more free time they have.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Americans believe the more they work the further ahead they get and Europeans believe the less they work the more free time they have.

[/ QUOTE ]

That honestly sums it up.... I couldn't think of a more accurate quote if I spent a couple of hours on it.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:14 AM

Another way of putting it might be that Europeans like to try and improve until they truly excel at something, whereas Americans just want to satiate their greed and need for immediate gratification!

But I don't agree with OP anyway, a lot of Euro sites are dominated by multitabling TAGs

(For the record Im neither European nor American)
Old 02-08-2007, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another way of putting it might be that Europeans like to try and improve until they truly excel at something

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish them luck with that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2007, 05:56 AM

I love how when Americans aren't good at something, or people aren't millionaires living crazy lives, take vacations, don't work hard and just enjoy life, they are failures in the eyes of the international community and evidence as to why American society is going down the tubes, and when they are rich hard working (or not) and flaunt their money etc etc, they are considered hethans who only care about material goods, spend their time trying to screw other people over and are generally unfit for European moral standards. Both identities ironically are said to be positively unhappy, a tragic perspective from a generally intelligent and caring, but without a doubt overly proud European conciousness. BTW this took me about 2 minutes to write before you want to go criticizing my lifestyle.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how when Americans aren't good at something, or people aren't millionaires living crazy lives, take vacations, don't work hard and just enjoy life, they are failures in the eyes of the international community and evidence as to why American society is going down the tubes, and when they are rich hard working (or not) and flaunt their money etc etc, they are considered hethans who only care about material goods, spend their time trying to screw other people over and are generally unfit for European moral standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a really long sentence.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:34 AM

Old 02-08-2007, 09:33 AM

adi,

That is just sick. Here I am feeling great because I finally have 20 vaction and 10 holliday days at my job and I am barely above the legal minimum in some countries.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont have hard evidence of this, but anecdotally from talking to players and observing who the super multitablers are, seems the grimstarrs almost entirely americans.

Why is this? Evidence of americans being more materialistic, Europeans prefer love of game and enjoyment, or is that too stereotypical?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like someone else mentioned, at the euro sites you will find some of multitabling TAGs but in general I agree with you. Not sure why this is, but I belive this is part of our success. I have seen Patrik Antonius, to take one example, play since day one of my poker life. He never played 6-12 tables even at the "lower" stakes. This also goes for other top scandinavians. I truly admire the 8 tablers, I could never do it, but I also think it hurts your game to some extent since you are not paying 100% attention to everything