Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Stuart Scott

I used to dig him okay.
'As cool as the other side of the pillow' and what-not.

Had his own enthusiastic approach which I kind of liked.
Also respected him for overcoming whatever is the situation with his eye to become a known television personality. Seriously, the idea of someone with a lazyish eye like that becoming a national anchor would probably be thought of as completely impossible by many in the business before it actually happened.

Anyway, now I just find him annoying.
I like the concept for their Stump the Schwab show on ESPN Classic but his "Yo, Word" stuff just seems so horribly contrived and silly.
He just came on after the Duke/NC game and said something like, "Yo. A positively BANANAS night at Cameron. We'll get you back out there where it was just CRAZY."
or something like that.

I suspect that his on-air shtick is mostly the same and my temprement has just changed for whatever reason.

I know a lot of people never liked him at all when he first came on but that's not what I'm talking about.

I suspect I'm not the only one who used to think he was reasonably cool and just can't stand listening to him anymore.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Stuart Scott

I'm with you on this one. I liked him when he first came on. I think loads of people did. I think he sucks now. Not sure if he's changed or I have. Considering that when he came onto ESPN in 1993 (according to wikipedia) I was in 8th grade it's probably more me than him.

Also, my memory could be off here, but I feel like he was the first ESPN guy where his broadcast style makes him important as well as the story. They've had Berman and his nicknames etc. obviously, but he's the first guy I can recall that they got that was more like the current people. I don't think it's his fault because the problem has spread to other areas - just watch cable (especially FOX) news.

Jared
Old 02-08-2007, 12:31 AM

he made being an achor be "cool". the biggest problem is that everyone copied him, and now they all try to one up each other everytime. its bananas how over the top these guys are.

also doesn't help how little highlights they show these days. 3 or 4 comments throughout a whole show isn't as annoying when you have 25 ninety second highlights per show.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:33 AM

Yeah I am in the same boat as Bob. He is a guy with a original shtick that never really matured or changed. So it got stale, now it's really annoying.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he made being an achor be "cool". the biggest problem is that everyone copied him, and now they all try to one up each other everytime. its bananas how over the top these guys are.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was trying to say, but much clearer. In his defence, I think that if it wasn't him it would have been someone else.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:03 AM

Also in his defense, sometimes a shtick just gets old and that doesn't necessarily mean it's all his fault. So maybe that's all that has happened here. But I do feel like its part him and not just me.

I would like to see some 1994 Sportscenters with him to see what I thought.
My hunch is that I would still like him in those.

Kind of like how I think David Letterman re-runs from 1986 are hilarious but Letterman now is practically the opposite of funny.

I feel like Scott changed his schtick somewhere within the past few years to try to be more up-front and hip somehow.
all those Yo's, Word's and Banana's that I just don't remember him having back in the day when "he was like butter" or "cool as the other side of the pillow" were actually fresh and new.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kind of like how I think David Letterman re-runs from 1986 are hilarious but Letterman now is practically the opposite of funny.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a great analogy. Letterman really was hilarious in the 80s.

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like Scott changed his schtick somewhere within the past few years to try to be more up-front and hip somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]
To be fair, if you don't change your act up your act WILL get old - notice how comedians need always be developing new material if they want to remain relevant. Unfortunately, this sometimes leads to people becoming self-referential caricatures of themselves or just outright sucking.

I think Scott's act has an expiration date that has long since passed and he's gonna have to find a new angle, possibly as a "serious" reporter - much like Robin Williams started taking dramatic roles after his cocaine-fueled shtick became tired and predictable.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He just came on after the Duke/NC game and said something like, "Yo. A positively BANANAS night at Cameron. We'll get you back out there where it was just CRAZY."
or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't there other people that write this stuff while he simply reads it off a teleprompter?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't there other people that write this stuff while he simply reads it off a teleprompter?

[/ QUOTE ]

they write or imrpove pretty much all their material. lots of times they get sheet right before the highlight airs and have to just wing it.

the behind the sportscenter shows they do are pretty interesting.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they write or imrpove pretty much all their material. lots of times they get sheet right before the highlight airs and have to just wing it.

the behind the sportscenter shows they do are pretty interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anchoring sports is 99% scripted, even on SC. There will be an occasional ad-lib on a late-breaking story, but almost everything is written out by someone (usually the anchor) before it is read.