Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Late night/Early morning hand

It was 4 AM, and I had been playing for about 6 hours. For the first time since I began playing No Limit exclusively, I was a big winner. I had just played my button and was packing my chips to go home.

In the cut off, I get A5c. There were already 3 callers in front of me, so I limped in and saw the flop: Qc 9d 3c. A four flush. It was checked around to me, so I made a value bet about half the pot. Folded around to the UTG and he raised it 2x my bet. Everybody folded to me.

Now this guy had been playing pretty loose in the short time he was at the table. He came from a broken table with a lot of chips. When he showed down a hand, it was usually a marginal hand. And he had folded some bluffs when pushed. So I thought he could have anything.

I figured he had a Queen, I called the raise.

The pot was about $70.

The turn brought the Ace of Spades - top pair with the nut flush draw. The UTG fired immediately with an all-in of $280.

What now? What should I have done? Suggestions please.

=======================================
What happened - in white text below:

<font color="white">
I folded. I chickened out and folded. Took my $280 home.

It was late, I was sleepy, and I was so jazzed about finally ending a N/L session on a positive.

But if I had thought it through....I shoulda called.

I had put him on a Q. The Ace was a scare card, thus his all in. But when he bet, all I could think was he flopped two pair: Q3. Even with that, I had 9 clubs, 1 ace, and any of the 3 fives could give me the winning had. But somehow I convinced myself he had AQ. So I folded.

Late...tired...profit. He flipped over T6 hearts...BLUFF.
</font>
Old 02-07-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Late night/Early morning hand

your flop bet is not a "value" bet, as you have nothing
fold to his turn bet

also - a 4 flush generally means there are 4 of the suit on the board, in this case it would be standard to refer to what you have as "the nut flush draw"
Old 02-07-2007, 06:45 PM

If youre going to bet this flop you do it mainly for FE, so its as stated not really a valuebet. I would have bet close to the pot there.

On the turn think of yourse hand as an weak ace, not as a flush draw since it will miss 5 out of 6 times. I would fold unless im very sure villain is crazy.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:22 PM

A four flush is four to a flush. PERIOD.

I learned draw and 7-stud years before hold 'em, and a four flush has nothing to do with the board. Those who define it as such are wrong.

Check out page 532 of Super System by Brunson.