Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 02:34 PM

Default US laws against racial discrimination?

I know in canada it is against the law to discriminate on the grounds of race. I am trying to figure out if it is the same in the United States. I know their must be something in place but I cant seem to find what specifically at the federal level protects citizens from racial discrimination. Please help.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: US laws against racial discrimination?

US Constitution.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:42 PM

Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:44 PM

I think it's pretty complicated and there isn't one specific thing that all rights are tied to but probably the primary one is the 14th amendment to the constitution.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
US Constitution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, oh so wrong. Anti-discrimination laws, in fact, are arguably unconstitutional, because they abridge the first amendment right of free assembly. There were a couple of SCt cases about this in the wake of the Civil Rights Act.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:46 PM

basically in the U.S. it is only okay to judge people based on race when they are white. If they arent white then u cant judge them based on race, because then ur a racist. I know its a double standard here in the U.S. but thats just the way it is.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
US Constitution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, oh so wrong. Anti-discrimination laws, in fact, are arguably unconstitutional, because they abridge the first amendment right of free assembly. There were a couple of SCt cases about this in the wake of the Civil Rights Act.

[/ QUOTE ]

well it all depends on what exactly you mean by discrimination. It's not illegal to choose to only associate with one particular race on a personal level - this was and still is protected by freedom of assembly.

any business that participates in interstate commerce (like 99.99% of businesses do, it's almost impossible to avoid) are subject to regulation under the commerce clause of the constitution - this is why the civil rights act of 1964 is constitutional. It only attempts to regulate businesses involved in interstate commerce.

the feds will not come after to you if you have a lemonade stand and refuse to hire blacks, as long as all of your water, sugar, and lemons, and wood and stuff for the stand, and your bank that you deposit in, are all produced and bought within your state. Most (all?) states will though.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
basically in the U.S. it is only okay to judge people based on race when they are white. If they arent white then u cant judge them based on race, because then ur a racist. I know its a double standard here in the U.S. but thats just the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

totally agreed, if u call a blck person the n word they wanna kill u, but they can call themselves that all day without thinking second about it
Old 02-07-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

totally agreed, if u call a blck person the n word they wanna kill u, but they can call themselves that all day without thinking second about it

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG I never noticed this before! Go, quickly, and spread your wisdom! The world needs you!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:11 PM

There's a politics forum.