Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Low LvL Sng Bubble Probs

i started mutlitabling the 6.50$ turbos on stars i played higher before (10-20) but never multitabled them. so i am familiar with the bubble theory but my opponents doesnt. i discover the problem that all these players make so much -ev calls like putting there whole stack at risk with k10 and pocket 22-44 or Ace-rack. i believe many of the low lvl grinders will discover the same problem but i dont have a solution yet. like a adjusting my hand ranges
Old 02-07-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Low LvL Sng Bubble Probs

I don't see how pushing K10, 44, etc. while 4-handed is -EV. Most of the time, the chipleader(s) will call the push with less than favorable hands while getting correct odds in order to burst the bubble. You can't avoid the sitauations so I suggest embracing them. Most of these hands gain a lot of value 4-handed and I like to be super-aggressive with them, which in turn helps me steal a lot of blinds and eventually double up.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:32 PM

A lot of your $EV comes from the other players taking [censored] hands to battle against each other. Folding is very valuable in low stakes STTs full of maniacs/calling stations. You should fold thin pushes cos your folding EV is (a lot) more than SNGPT suggests.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:05 PM

i agree pushing is fine and correct with this hands but NOT calling with them its a huge difference and actually thats what i talked about.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:10 PM

dang,

It may or may not be right to call with those hands. If they have you covered, are getting good odds, etc. then it may be perfectly fine.

On the other hand, if they are calling 14BB shoves, or are otherwise calling in poor situations then they may of course be bad.

The key is to notice what they are calling with and then push accordingly. That's how you adjust. Generally you should push a wider range vs. opponents that call too tightly and push a tighter range vs. opponents that call too loosely.

I'd suggest downloading a copy of SNGPT or SNG Wiz (see FAQ) and try entering some different scenarios to get a feel for what hands you should be pushing against different kinds of opponents.

If you have any specific hands that give you trouble (maybe you're wondering about some factor that those tools can't account for... upcoming blinds for example), then feel free to post them.

But that's honestly all there is to it and I don't feel this merits any more discussion, so...
Old 02-07-2007, 02:10 PM

What's the problem with villains calling your pushes with substandard hands? Your FE goes down slightly but if you adjust your push range to their wide calling range then equity you get from being ahead when called and winning should more than make up for lost FE.
Closed Thread