Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 12:44 PM

Default The \"disease\" of alcoholism.

Is alcoholism a "disease?"

The AMA, WHO, and many others agree that alcoholism is a disease and is treatable, though I've heard the treatment success rate isn't all that good. Somewhere around 1 in 10 who go through the 28 day treatment model are able to stay sober for 1 year or longer.

There are others who insist that it's a behavior or just a willpower issue.

What are your thoughts? Is alcoholism a disease or not?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Re: The \"disease\" of alcoholism.

Whatever you call it, 12-step programs have to go.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:06 PM

I had this discussion recently.

Explanations and discussions aside, I offered to make a significant bet at generous odds based on demographic statistics, that I would never become an alchoholic, drug addict or gambling addict.

I would not make that bet regarding an actual disease such as cancer.

Regarding the 12 step program used by all xya anonymous: its an intensive indoctrination into a religious cult, just read the steps (and 90 visits in 90 days programs)
Old 02-07-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a lot like Christianity. First, recognize you're weak and hopeless. Then be thankful to God because he's going to grant you hope!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the 12 step program used by all xya anonymous: its an intensive indoctrination into a religious cult, just read the steps (and 90 visits in 90 days programs)

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not accurate to describe AA as a cult from anything I've read or heard (and I have a couple friends who have been helped by it). It does have a broad theistic foundation, but one which doesn't promote a specific religion, just a belief and trust in God/higher power. You will not be able to find enough or any cultic practices such as shunning or illegal threats and intimidation, to properly label it a cult*. It would however be accurate to say that they "indoctrinate" members into theism, but without the tactics of social and physical intimidation and threats that true cults use.

*The term "cult" has various theological denotations which I am not addressing here, but rather its connotations in popular culture and media, and its wrongful use as a perjorative term in this situation.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:26 PM

I would like to pull this back on-topic.

If you would like to discuss 12 step programs, please start another thread.

Is alcoholism a disease like cancer or not?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a lot like Christianity. First, recognize you're weak and hopeless. Then be thankful to God because he's going to grant you hope!

[/ QUOTE ]

My step-dad is a recovering alcoholic and he is a big part of the AA community where I am from. They don't have a hierarchy, exactly, but he would be high-ranking if they did. I have used my influence over him to try and combat this very issue that you are talking about. He isn't Christian, exactly, and I have argued with him many, many times about the insidious nature of the program. He now refers to the 'higher power' as a Giant Goat-Head in the Sky when he gives talks, as a way of trying to explain that it doesn't have to be real, it certainly doesn't have to be God, it can be anything.

I have a lot of negative feelings towards AA. Its success rate is extremely unimpressive, and the majority of the groups ARE like Christian cults. I honestly can't tell which has impacted which more: my feelings about Christianity effecting my opinion on AA or the other way around. I've been to more meetings than most alcoholics, probably, and I see the same theme. People who are at absolute rock-bottom, who are in desperate need of something, being told repeatedly that only God can save their worthless asses. If I spent a lot of time around missionaries perhaps I'd see the same thing, but to me is extremely distasteful.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:44 PM

The question is whether any very strong addiction, with both physical and psychological components, is a disease. And also at issue is whether to be a disease, something has to be able to be cured medically. However many adverse medical conditions can result from ingestion or exposure to toxins, and decrease or go away entirely when that consumption/exposure is stopped (though there might be permanent damage but which is limited by stopping), although that ususually presumes a will to stop, as in for example habitually eating from a contaminated source (like fish from the East River).
Old 02-07-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to pull this back on-topic.

If you would like to discuss 12 step programs, please start another thread.

Is alcoholism a disease like cancer or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I made my post before I read this, and I apologize for the hijack.