Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 07:40 AM

Default So... I\'m not reraising PF anymore. Is that wrong?

Ok, I'm talking about deepstack poker. 40bb+. Is this really bad? 3 examples from a recent $1000 live tourney I just played.

blinds 25/25
4 limps, button makes it 150. I call in the SB with QQ.

Blinds 75/150
HJ opens to 450. I call with AJo in the CO.

Blinds 100/200
CO opens to 600. I call with AA on the button.

My reasoning varies slightly with each hand, but essentially, it is the same: I WANT some sort of action with all of these hands and adding 4.5BB to my 50BB stack (with the risk of having to fold to a shove and losing 8BB) is not incentive enough to be 3betting.... I mean re-raising. Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2007, 07:46 AM

Default Re: So... I\'m not reraising PF anymore. Is that wrong?

I'd definately reraise that QQ with so many potential players coming in. The other 2 are fine.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:48 AM

Does this mean that you never reraise anything pre-flop or just not playable hands? If three-betting deepstacks is not part of your game, then are you not losing value and will not observant players pick up on this? I mean, in a vacuum, I like flat calling QQ from SB (I like it even more with an aggro in BB) but then again I also like go and going a much wider range from the SB.

Oh yeah, the four limps with QQ. I don't like this atb all now. We're just playing the ladies for set value now, no?
Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 AM

The answer to your question is extremely easy.

The answer is yes.

Welcome to (pick whichever you feel most appropriate)
i) How to play poker like a little girl
ii) How to give ALL of your opponents great odds to draw out on you, then punish you to the max!
iii) How to be pwned by everyone!
iv) The joy of winning tiny pots when everyone misses, then lose huge pots to crappppy donkeys!

Hand 1 should be raised significantly.
Hand 2 is a bit awkward, particularly since i hate ajoff. If hj had been raising light, I would raise. If he was a nit, i call.
By plaing hand 3 like this, you sincerly deserve to have your poker playing licence revoked, shredded and fed to the seagulls.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 AM

Also CSC, we need the your position in hands #2&3.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd definately reraise that QQ with so many potential players coming in. The other 2 are fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I thought this was the clearest smooth call. We start with 2500 chips and this is level one. So there is say 250 chips in the pot or a 10% increase in my chip stack. HOWEVER!!!! Calling and playing for set value may double me up. ALSO!!!! I'm definately turning QQ into 27o here by raising. I'm only getting action from AA/KK/AK really, and AK folds if it misses the flop. Thusly, just as good to raise 27o like this.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I thought this was the clearest smooth call. We start with 2500 chips and this is level one. So there is say 250 chips in the pot or a 10% increase in my chip stack. HOWEVER!!!! Calling and playing for set value may double me up. ALSO!!!! I'm definately turning QQ into 27o here by raising. I'm only getting action from AA/KK/AK really, and AK folds if it misses the flop. Thusly, just as good to raise 27o like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so easy to persuade.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 AM

OOps, sorry, i didnt read the bit about you being deep stacked. I havent played much of that at all, so you may wish to ignore/ downgrade my sarcastic comments
Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 AM

i) you don't think it is more "scared poker" to try to take it down PF? The whole idea is that I can outplay these idiots postflop, so why not let them find half a hand and pay me off. If I need to fold it, so what?

ii) I don't beleive I am giving them "great odds to draw out on me". I'm not defining my hand pf, and I'm hoping to get in a situation where their hands are much more visible to my eyes than mine is to theirs while still having the best starting hand when the flop hits the felt.

iii) The whole idea is that I can achieve greater "pwnage" by allowing them to "get there" when I know that "there" is no good.

iv) Why would you think that I would only be winning small pots and losing large ones? I'm pretty sure it is the other way around -> I'm able to get away from a hand after minimal action, and I'm getting paid off big if we both make a hand.

Hand 1: why should it be raised at all? Where is the value? What hands call me?

Hand 2: Why would you ever "just call" if he is a nit? If you believe in this philosophy of reraising, it is more correct to dump or pump vs. a nit. It also happens to be more correct to be cold-calling a LAGRO a lot more with position and any reasonable starting hand INCLUDING big hands because LAGROs love to bet bet bet.

Hand 3: why?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:05 AM

Surely your worst line here is calling with AA on the button not reraising here is criminal deepstack or not