Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 01:06 AM

Default AQ in RR pot

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($11.25)
Button ($61.85)
SB ($25.05)
Hero ($69.85)
UTG ($91.35)
MP ($16.80)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7.5</font>, UTG calls $5.50, Button folds.

Flop: ($17.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $83.85</font>.
Hero...

Villain is 25/12 over about 100 hands. Has been fairly aggressive both pre and post flop, trying to push me around.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: AQ in RR pot

Fold
Old 02-07-2007, 02:03 PM

In my opinion you only want to re-raise with AQ here if Villain is raising light, or to mix up your play, but with the button calling, I personally prefer a flat call pre-flop .

Given your information I don't think Villain is raising light here. 25/12 is not THAT aggressive pre-flop and an UTG raise demands more respect than a CO or Button raise. So that's why I prefer a call, but a raise is okay too I guess sometimes.

As played I think a fold is correct, he could be doing this with the Kc only, but he could have a set or AK a lot of the time here too.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:10 PM

Fold preflop
Old 02-07-2007, 02:11 PM

no don't rr or call, I call most of the time. Folding is faaaaaaaar too nitty. As played pretty easy fold really.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:16 PM

You can't be any better than a coin flip pf with two callers and you are OOP against both of them. How can you call it pf and expect to make money over the long run? Calling here sounds like what Ed Miller calls "POOPS" to me
Old 02-07-2007, 02:18 PM

by out playing them post flop, probably having any other ace dominated. AQo is a very strong hand
Old 02-07-2007, 02:19 PM

Reraising AQ out of position, especially with the button cold call, is standard... I'm doing this 99% of the time. I have zero interest in playing this hand out of position and the button's call is creating dead money most of the time. With no club, I agree the fold after getting raised on the flop is fairly straight foward... My main issue is whether to check or bet this flop.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:32 PM

I just noticed this is a six handed table not full-ring. I missed that first time through. Full-ring I would be folding this hand.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:48 PM

Interesting that we disagree on the pre-flop play. The way I see it is that a 25/12 player's raising range UTG at a 6 max table is something like AT+,99+,KQ+ and AQ sits near the middle of that range. I understand what you are saying about raising because you don't want to play the hand out of position, but this is something that confuses me because there is a good chance you will get a call, so then you are playing a bigger pot out of position as opposed to a smaller one had you just called.

Having said that, a raise does mean you take the lead in the hand, okay, okay, I'm warming to the raise idea somewhat. I think whether you fold/raise/call is a close decision here, so maybe your table image over the last couple of orbits should dictate what you go for - will your raise end the hand?

Anyway, as for the flop, I think you definitely want to lead out here because if you check, what do you do if he bets? Check-fold seems weak, check-raise I guess will let you know whether you are beat but is expensive and check-call is yuck because if he is on a draw you give him a free card and what's your play on the turn?