Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Bankroll and Staking

I am a cash game player looking to stake a friend in tourneys for an extended amount of time so I'm hoping I can get some advice from all you tourney donkeys [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ....regarding bankroll I found this on the site:

7. What is the bankroll requirement for playing MTTs?
Ring game players have their 300 BB rule of thumb, the MTT equivalent would be minimum 50 to 100 buy-ins (note: includes vig). Accordingly, if you want to play $10+1 tournaments, you would need $550-1,100 roughly to keep yourself ample cushioning to handle variance and keep in mind that many people would argue 100 buy-ins is really necessary. Also, this rule is meant to be applied to freezeout not rebuy tournaments.

Questions:

1) This answer does not take into account the amount of players. Is there a way to take into account the buy-in and # of players to figure out the requirement?

2) I am thinking of staking this player for 90 tourneys (3 tourneys per day * 30 days) and at the end of the 90 tourneys he takes his percentage of profits (I hope). What are some reasonable percentages for the distribution of profits?

3) Have you staked a player for MTT's? What was your experience?

Replies to any question and any extra advice on staking and MTT tourneys is appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Bankroll and Staking

What is your goal with staking this player if I may ask? Is it to just help out a friend, or to try and make a little extra $$ at the same time as playing yourself?

If you're doing this to try and make extra money, I'm not sure it's worth it for you unless he's a legit MTTer and plays higher buy-in tourneys, in which case he should already have a roll.

If you're doing this to help out a friend, that's another thing entirely. I personally have a couple friends staked minor right now and I don't even ask anything in return - it's not that much $$ to me ($1k or so) and I figure karma will help me in the long run. Or so I'm hoping. If it were more significant staking, I would certainly be looking for 50/50 or even 60/40 since you burden all the risks.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:23 PM

WD can I be your friend? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ...Thank you for the reply. I am doing this as an investment and as a way to help a friend out. I realize that MTT's are high variance but was hoping that the 90 tourney requirement would help this out. I am sure he has a decent edge on the majority of the players in this game. So my main concern is the variance, specifically a safe bankroll.

Does this sound like a good idea?
What is the longest losing streak you have had?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:37 PM

stupid question but what is an MTT?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:40 PM

you mean a donkament?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
7. What is the bankroll requirement for playing MTTs?

[/ QUOTE ]

what does MTT stand for? Sorry but I don't know all the lingo yet.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:04 PM

not sure if youre serious NYTler but MTT is multi table tournament like the name of this forum
Old 02-06-2007, 08:05 PM

I haven't really played much lately, but I can remember dropping a couple grand on Party before they shut down to US. This was playing MTTs from $5-$100, some of those being rebuys for $5-$33 so my variance was quite a bit bigger than what your friend will have I'm sure.

As a rule I would give him say $1k and say he can only play up to the $33s, and rebuys up to $11s. Even that's cutting a little close but if as you say he's going to have a decent edge then that should be good enough unless he goes on a huge downswing to start.

As I said, 60/40 or 50/50 at absolutely worst seems pretty fair to me. But what do I know?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't really played much lately, but I can remember dropping a couple grand on Party before they shut down to US. This was playing MTTs from $5-$100, some of those being rebuys for $5-$33 so my variance was quite a bit bigger than what your friend will have I'm sure.

As a rule I would give him say $1k and say he can only play up to the $33s, and rebuys up to $11s. Even that's cutting a little close but if as you say he's going to have a decent edge then that should be good enough unless he goes on a huge downswing to start.

As I said, 60/40 or 50/50 at absolutely worst seems pretty fair to me. But what do I know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks

Any more comments?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:27 AM

bump