Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 01:28 PM

Default 400NL turned 2p, whats my turn/river play

Villain is skpster75. I dont have much history with him yet. He has been running at 33/20/1.5. I have never seen him min c/r before. Basically, on the turn, is checking behind better than betting? Should I be bet/folding to another c/r? I figured checking was best here as if he did happen to be bluffing on the flop, he would have an ideal opportunity on the river. So, he bet the river. Calling>rRaising>folding? I guess this hand seems pretty standard, just wondering what you think.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG ($124.15)
MP ($512.55)
Hero ($884.70)
Button ($251.55)
SB ($414.20)
BB ($403.40)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $4, MP calls $4, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG folds, MP calls $16.

Flop: ($50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $80</font>, Hero calls $40.

Turn: ($210) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: ($210) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $192</font>, Hero calls $192.

Final Pot: $594
Old 02-06-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: 400NL turned 2p, whats my turn/river play

I dont mind this call, normally a standard player who C/r on this flop with 22 55 QQ Q-5 etc is going to come out betting strong on the turn, hes checking, leading me to believe he might not have such a strong hand, perhaps a bluff on river with Ah 3h or something. what did he show u?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:39 PM

IMO you're losing a lot of value from a weaker Q or AQ by checking the turn. I'd bet turn and river. Getting c/r'ed on turn is an easy fold.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO you're losing a lot of value from a weaker Q or AQ by checking the turn. I'd bet turn and river. Getting c/r'ed on turn is an easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it's a fold it's very far from an easy fold
Old 02-06-2007, 01:52 PM

My reason for checking the turn was because the c m/r is usually either a huge hand, or a bluff. If you notice is stats, he is relatively passive. I dont think he would c m/r with anything worse than say..AQ. I figured by checking the turn I am controlling the pot vs hands I am losing to, and giving villain an ideal spot to bluff on the river. By betting the turn, I fold out most hands I beat except maybe AQ.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:39 PM

I think people check minraise with top pair type of hands as well. AQ/Qx, etc are far from uncommon. Problem with the river is that the only draw he could be doing is is 34 and that gets there on the river. Also the pf limpcall suggests a sooted connector or small pair.

I also think this line is fine, folding to this minraise would seem very weak here. Checking the turn is also fine since there aren't really any draws he could have besides 34 so he has very little chance of improving if you have him beat.

And I don't think I would fold the river either. Pretty nasty spot nevertheless. Also I don't think raising has too much value unless he happens to have something like 56 which wouldn't make a lot of sense to me. I think this hand overall looks fine.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:44 PM

With no read a call isn't a bad play here. I say pop that turn to get some info, if he pushes re-evaluate, if not you've got a winner. I don't think folding is an option after the river bet.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think folding is an option after the river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
no it isn't specialy because of the cb at the turn
bluffinduce...

i think it is really hard to say with what kind of hands villian cr min the flop
this board is really dry and has only one facecard

he might cr min as a bluff because hero will hit this board not very often but his preflopplay looks like a low pp or a sc