Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Small pair on the button, right move was to push yes? And another hand

Hand 1
Blinds are 500-1000 with 100 antes

My stack is around 3300, and I'm on the button, folded to me and I see pocket deuces, I push. This is pretty standard yes, or should I have waited for a better spot to put my money in seeing that I was on the button, and I had a full round before the blinds came around. The BB was a pretty loose player, and I knew he was going to call with any two cards, plus he had about 9k in chips.

Hand 2

Blinds are 400-800 with 75 antes, I have about 9k in chips.

BB is all in this hand from the blinds

I'm in late MP and pick up Ace-ten off, folded to me and I raise to 2500 to get heads up with the bb, folded to cut off who raises all in for 4700 total, an extra 2200 to me.

I know I'm beat but is this a pretty standard call because of the pot odds?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Small pair on the button, right move was to push yes? And another

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 1

My stack is around 3300, and I'm on the button, folded to me and I see pocket deuces, I push. This is pretty standard yes, or should I have waited for a better spot to put my money in seeing that I was on the button, and I had a full round before the blinds came around. The BB was a pretty loose player, and I knew he was going to call with any two cards, plus he had about 9k in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is standard. And I'm not so sure BB I is gonna call with any two. Even if he does, gambling to get out of the dead zome is the only play here.

[ QUOTE ]

Small pair on the button, right move was to push yes? And another hand
#9072009 - 06/02/07 11:28 AM
Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply

Hand 1

Hand 2

Blinds are 400-800 with 75 antes, I have about 9k in chips.

BB is all in this hand from the blinds

I'm in late MP and pick up Ace-ten off, folded to me and I raise to 2500 to get heads up with the bb, folded to cut off who raises all in for 4700 total, an extra 2200 to me.

I know I'm beat but is this a pretty standard call because of the pot odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot odds make this a call, no matter how bad your cards are. AT is an easy call in this situation.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Both hands are instacalls. I also call hand 2 with 72o after I put in the raise.

Pushing might have been appropriate in hand 2 depending on the stacks of the people to act after you
Old 02-06-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Small pair on the button, right move was to push yes? And another hand

Okay.. .that's what i thought. i lost both hands, but i figure i made the right play in both situations.

22 got called by Q7

Ace-Ten was up against AK.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Small pair on the button, right move was to push yes? And another hand

I would probably limp or fold hand 2 with the BB allin. You can't steal the blinds.

Once you raise, you are pot committed to call the reraise.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ace-Ten was up against AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice how this would have been a call even if you would have known that villain had AK. You are getting 3.27 to 1 here, and you only need to win more than 23% of the time to make a call profitable.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1

My stack is around 3300, and I'm on the button, folded to me and I see any two, I push. This is pretty standard

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 2: Be aware that the short stack is there before making this play and expect this to happen. As played, have to call.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1

My stack is around 3300, and I'm on the button, folded to me and I see any two, I push. This is pretty standard

[/ QUOTE ]

Since our fold equity is approaching zero, I would recommend pushing only the top 33% or so. If we were slightly bigger I'd push any two.