Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Online RPG

The only online RPG I ever played for more than a couple hours was WoW. I eventually quit that not because I became an addict (played for ~1 month) or anything, but because it plainly sucked.

This is what I am looking for in an online rpg:

1. Player vs Player combat as well as Player vs Computer
I don’t care if the game is geared one way or the other so long as it has both.

2. Solo Content
More than WoW, i.e. I want to be able to go through most dungeons (not every dungone i.e. hard/elite whatever you want to call it) by myself. It should be hard.

3. Teaming Up
I want teaming up to matter, not just be a whimsical thing you have to do ala WoW in order to advance. I want it to matter when you team up, as in you really have to trust this person.

4. Have some sort of loss for death.
I want there to be a more severe loss of death than just some exp lost, or having to repair gear. It is not necessary to me that you have you entire gear looted but I would like to see a compromise in between.

5. Extras
As far as skills, class, characterization, size of community etc. I don’t really care as long as it passes my 4 tests.

Does anyone know of any online RPG that does this?

P.S. I am not saying the game should do this in order for everyone to buy it (WoW has +6 million). It is just something I would personally want to see.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Online RPG

You're about 5 years to late. Diablo 2 was your game. As for the severe punishment you are looking for being killed, well they have "hardcore" and if you die, its game over and possibly the most frustrating thing ever.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:42 PM

thanks for the help i played diablo 2 and the expanision as well.
i thought the online part of it was awful.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Diablo II was killer. I wish I still had it.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:47 AM

As sad as it is, wow is the best online RPG out right now. Pretty much every other mmorpg does what wow does but worse. They might have some gimmick like sick end game pvp, but you have hundreds of hours of grinding to get there.

I like wow, but I'm mostly looking forward to Warhammer Online. Looks like it will provide questing that matter above just grinding out levels.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:34 AM

Check out Eve Online. Fits your requirements perfectly. I also found WoW, and the countless other MMO with identical mindless grind + "OMG I HAVE LEET EQUIPS - I WILL NOW BE ABLE TO PWN ANYBODY SOLO IN PVP!!!" styles of play extremely... lacking.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:04 AM

I gotta second EVE Online....only problem is that it's gonna take you a while to catch up to the veterans because of the way the skill system works (skills are trained in real time whether you're logged on or not).
Old 02-07-2007, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're about 5 years to late. Diablo 2 was your game. As for the severe punishment you are looking for being killed, well they have "hardcore" and if you die, its game over and possibly the most frustrating thing ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

never had the guts to try the hardcore thing as i prolly would have slit myself if i died somewhere in there...

btw, i only stopped playing the expansion b/c of all the duping and other cheating problems their online play was swamped with...did they ever really address that issue or is it still rampant...??
Old 02-07-2007, 01:08 PM

Definitely go for a MUD, if this is really what you care about. Iron Realms are the most popular, and they definitely meet those standards, but there are probably better ones. I'm not too familiar with the PvP stuff out there, but you can probably find something on The Mud Connector. If you're really looking for a pure experience, don't let the text turn you off.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:35 AM

Most of my friends are Eve Online addicts.

Have you looked at Warhammer? that should be due out soon.