Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Value of being in the right seat

So a situation came up this week when I was playing that made me ask myself a question I never really have before. Before we get to that question, here's the story:

So I'm sitting at an 8 handed limit HE table with the following lineup:

Seat 1: Me
Seat 2: Unimaginative rock
Seat 3: Pretty loose but aggressive at times
Seat 4: Very loose mostly passive donk
Seat 5: Loose passive donk
Seat 6: Boring average player
Seat 7: empty
Seat 8: Semi loose aggressive tricky player who plays pretty well postflop
Seat 9: Tight aggressive, best player at table

I think I'm at by far the best seat at the table, and personally think seat 7 is the worst seat at the table.. but then this happens.

A really really really bad player (who I played with a few hours ago but then he left) wanted to play. He is just learning the game and I estimate will drop around 50 BB in around 4 hours (with very little chance of walking away with anything more than -25 BB). Incredibly loose and VERY passive.. total definition of calling station. The floor directs him to our table but he says he can't play from the open seat because he can't see the cards.

So my question is... what is seat selection worth to you versus the players in the game? Do you switch over to seat 7 in this situation to let this very bad player join the game? I thought about this in about the 3 seconds I had when the floor was over and offered to take that seat so the old man could play. I'm still not certain about the value of good seat position vs. the value of the quality of players at the table. Anyone wish to comment?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Value of being in the right seat

This is the third retype, but I make the move. I would be buffered by soft players in the three seats to my right, and I can now pressure the tougher players and slow them down for most of the round by changing my play.

I also have the advantage of being able to squeeze the three players to my right between the LAG and myself. These pots will more than compensate for the now tougher players on my left.

The key is adaptability and flexibility. For someone who can only play one style and only think full table instead of two half tables the move could be a disaster.

The final out is, if it is not a good move, someone is leaving soon and I can change to another seat.