Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 11:45 PM

Default $27 Shortstack AA

CL will call fairly loose. Rest of table is tight. SNGPT obviously says shoving is +EV. I had shoved the previous two hands.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t1535)
CO (t2020)
Button (t2635)
SB (t1805)
BB (t5505)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises to t1535 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

I shoved because I thought I would be more likely to get a call. But is it always better to play As differently here, eg raise to 500 and hope for a call/reraise?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: $27 Shortstack AA

I would just shove this. Raising it smaller risks observant players realising what you're up to, as well as morons flat-calling your raise and folding flops they don't like.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:50 PM

If you know BB is EXTREMELY loose then shove. you don't want him calling your raise with something awful and picking up a straight or a flush draw. It makes it better that this is your third shove in a row. Good hand sir.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:51 PM

agree, shove it and conceal your hand to good players.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 AM

TY chaps
Old 02-06-2007, 12:05 AM

Having shoved the last 2 hands you've Got To shove this for sure.

But, if you hadn't done that (pushed yet) then there's a school of thought (mine) that says that raising to 600 is a good plan here. You're so far ahead that no-one's getting the right odds to call you (cos yer stack's not big enough for them to get the right odds to chase a made flop). So you're perfectly happy for fools to call loose and fold their missed flop. If, on the other hand, they hit a pair then you're still some way ahead and now yer getting all their chips.

I did this with KK recently in a live tourney. BB was 200 and I raised it to 600 when I had a 1500 stack (I was short because I'd got my AA cracked on the previous hand!). I drew along a caller who had A3 and waddyaknow he hit an Ace on the flop.

BUT that was only going to happen 1 time in 5 and he was only getting 2.5 to 1 on his money so my move was not a bad one. The other 4 times he was going to fold his missed Ace and I was increasing my stack by 40%.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as well as morons flat-calling your raise and folding flops they don't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
you don't want him calling your raise with something awful and picking up a straight or a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all wrong. You definitely want people calling your raise.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just shove this. Raising it smaller risks observant players realising what you're up to, as well as morons flat-calling your raise and folding flops they don't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

The latter part of this statement isn't really true. Assume said moron is calling both a push and a raise. Say we raise to 600 and villain will then call our subsequent flop shove only if he maks a draw/pair or better. We are almost certainly better off raising and shoving the flop than to just open shove. I would still shove AA here, but not for the second reason you posted.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The latter part of this statement isn't really true. Assume said moron is calling both a push and a raise. Say we raise to 600 and villain will then call our subsequent flop shove only if he maks a draw/pair or better. We are almost certainly better off raising and shoving the flop than to just open shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Is everyone on this thread on crack? Is this your argument: We don't want villain calling a shove when we have AA, we'd rather he called preflop and then folded the flop when he's drawing dead? Whaaat?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The latter part of this statement isn't really true. Assume said moron is calling both a push and a raise. Say we raise to 600 and villain will then call our subsequent flop shove only if he maks a draw/pair or better. We are almost certainly better off raising and shoving the flop than to just open shove.

[/ QUOTE ] Huh? Is everyone on this thread on crack? Is this your argument: We don't want villain calling a shove when we have AA, we'd rather he called preflop and then folded the flop when he's drawing dead? Whaaat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider the two extremes. Say we are allowed to raise to only two chips in this hand in question and then shove the flop. Villain calls on the flop only if he makes a hand. But would have called a preflop shove with all the hands with which he calls a two chip raise. Obviously we are better off shoving than rasing two chips and shoving the flop. Now consider the other extreme. We raise for all of our chips except one, then bet that last chip on the flop. Our opponent again only calls that one chip flop bet if he makes a pair or better. Obviously in this scenario we are much better of not shoving, but instead raising all but our last chip. Somewhere in betweem these two extremes is the equilibrium point and it is probably right aroung 500-550 chip preflop raise followed by a flop shove. This only works if villain is actually calling the initial raise with the same hands with which he calls a preflop shove which probably isn't the case. It also probably is't the case that villain folds the flop much, so none of this really matters.