Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 09:11 PM

Default teacher

I have a marketing teacher who just makes things up. I assume this is one of those times, but i'll make sure.
I'll spare the details and jus get to the point
"Hi-end vodka low-end its all the same. Vodka is a tasteless oderless drink, if it is the same alchohal percentage it is the same no matter what bottle it comes in, or how much it costs."

discuss
Old 02-05-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: teacher

i actually remember some study where they gave people who thought they new a lot about vodka tasting the some expensive high end vodka and then some low end vodka and asked them to tell which vodka was the expensive and which was the cheap. a large % of the time they thought the low end vodka was the high end vodka. i forget the exact breakdown though.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:23 PM

Probably hyperbole. The statement alone is of course false, but you'd be surprised how much vodka marketing determines people's buying habits. In blind tests the correlation between price and ratings tends to slide pretty fast, so I'm sure that's what s/he was referring to.

I've heard that statement too in economics settings, so I don't know if this is too great an example upon which to question the prof's credibility.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM

It is a lot harder to tell the difference between high end and low end vodka than most people claim. However all vodka doesn't taste the same (even comparing low end to other low end I can tell the difference, sometimes even more-so than low end to high end). Potato vodka is pretty easy to distinguish between grain vodka if drank neat.

I guess your prof was trying to make a point about the value of marketing. He didn't have to lie to make it but I guess its easier for him. He could have just said that for the vast majority of consumers the type of vodka they buy makes no difference.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 PM

Mythbusters did the myth of pouring low end vodka through one of those PUR water filters. They took a high end vodka and a low end vodka and put them through like 5 different filtrations through the filter and took samples from each step.

The professional taster ranked them very well , but the two people on the show completely mixed them up.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:08 AM

I'm sure you can tell the difference between Aristocrat and Goose, you know the one with the duck on the front.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mythbusters did the myth of pouring low end vodka through one of those PUR water filters. They took a high end vodka and a low end vodka and put them through like 5 different filtrations through the filter and took samples from each step.

The professional taster ranked them very well , but the two people on the show completely mixed them up.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually the one dude got them all right, it was the chick who got it in like reverse order
Old 02-06-2007, 02:04 AM

yea, i dont understand what ur prof is tryyin to accomplish here. seems hes tryyin to speak broadly so the class understands, but providing false facts doesnt seem right

and yes, on the episode of MythBusters the professional vodka taster got them all right (low end to high end).
Old 02-06-2007, 03:30 AM

get drunk off 10$ bottle handle and tell me how you feel the next day

get drunk off grey goose and tell me how you feel the next day

and, better vodka = better drunk.

seriously guys, a $10 handle of poland spring/zhenka/whatever tastes like absolute [censored] compared to stuff like gg/belvedere/[censored], even svedka and uv.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:02 AM

i wasnt a huge fan of Belve. but then again, ima goose kid like none other, and Belve has an odd taste that Goose doesnt.

has anyone tried triple8?