Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Rice, David Grey, Daughtery

This is a television poker question, but also a poker question as well. HOW THE HELL ARE THESE GUYS CONSIDERED PROFESSIONALS?? I just don't get it. How do these three super tight, uncreative freaks manage to make a living at poker. "well, don't have the nuts, autofold" Everytime they bet, it's top pair or they simply check. How are they not pushed around left right and centre, and why are they on TV? I'm pretty sure HSP is by invite only, how is Grey there? WTF does he add other than outfolding everying including Bob Stupek (the only man alive that makes Dave Magrill watchable). I just don't get how these hold em nut peddlers manage to survive or eek out a living at this game and not be sharkfood. They add nothing to the game and should not be on tv at all, but what bugs me is how they are classified as pros.

THE HUN.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Rice, David Grey, Daughtery

Go here: http://www.barrygreenstein.com/player.htm
and read about Barry Greenstein's analysis of David Grey.

Some notable items:

Best game: Seven-card stud
Weakness: Inflexible in his thinking

David says, “For twenty-five years when I have raised with a big up-card in stud, I have invariably had a big pair. But they always think I don’t have it this time and they call me and chase me to the river and draw out on me. So it doesn’t really matter if I tell them I have it again.”

You only see holdem on TV, not Grey's best game. Grey has made a lot of money playing 'uncreative' poker. If he is comfortable with it and is an overall winning player, who cares. Most of the time you will make more money doing the straight forward play anyways.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a television poker question, but also a poker question as well. HOW THE HELL ARE THESE GUYS CONSIDERED PROFESSIONALS?? I just don't get it. How do these three super tight, uncreative freaks manage to make a living at poker. "well, don't have the nuts, autofold" Everytime they bet, it's top pair or they simply check. How are they not pushed around left right and centre, and why are they on TV? I'm pretty sure HSP is by invite only, how is Grey there? WTF does he add other than outfolding everying including Bob Stupek (the only man alive that makes Dave Magrill watchable). I just don't get how these hold em nut peddlers manage to survive or eek out a living at this game and not be sharkfood. They add nothing to the game and should not be on tv at all, but what bugs me is how they are classified as pros.

THE HUN.

[/ QUOTE ]
pro·fes·sion·al [pruh-fesh-uh-nl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.
2. of, pertaining to, or connected with a profession: professional studies.
3. appropriate to a profession: professional objectivity.
4. engaged in one of the learned professions: A lawyer is a professional person.
5. following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer.
6. making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business: “A salesman,” he said, “is a professional optimist.”
7. undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain: professional baseball.
8. of or for a professional person or his or her place of business or work: a professional apartment; professional equipment.
9. done by a professional; expert: professional car repairs.

You're so [censored] stupid, it's driven me to madness. Do you really not know what professional means? Because you allude to the fact that people like David Grey make money playing poker, but you just can't understand how.

In summary: Someone who "follows an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain" is a professional. So do you understand now why they call him a professional?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

THE HUN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is Dave Magrill???
Old 02-05-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Who is Dave Magrill???

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he means Paul Magriel.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:48 PM

I wish I were an uncreative freak.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:22 PM

Brad Daugherty?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Who is Dave Magrill???

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he means Paul Magriel.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP's dislike of all people named David is quite apparent.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

THE HUN.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO. My god your post is retarded. I especially got a good kick out of this line:

"I just don't get how these hold em nut peddlers manage to survive or eek out a living at this game and not be sharkfood."

David Grey has been playing the highest cash games in the world for like two decades. I have a sneaking suspicion that he does a little more than eek out a living at poker.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
David Grey has been playing the highest cash games in the world for like two decades. I have a sneaking suspicion that he does a little more than eek out a living at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.

(well, with "eke" spelled correctly [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )