Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Foxwoods 4/8 Game - is it a joke?

I know the 2/4 is widely considered a joke - the rake is considered by many to be unbeatable, and we all know that you need some fish at a table to make it profitable, but a table of 9 fish and 7-8 to a flop - makes things tough if you aren't making any real big hands.

So, my question is: Is the 4/8 any better? Or is it just wealthier newbs and fish? I played in it for the first time last week. I saw a couple of players who were just constantly pulling out more cash and calling down with horrible Aces that they limped with UTG. But I also saw a few players talking about “reads” and some who seemed to be regulars and knew what they were doing.

I liked the 4/8 game overall. I have read that the 5/10 gets to be much tougher, is that true? Is the 4/8 actually considered a more profitable game?

I guess I am just wondering what the popular thoughts/perceptions are about the Foxies 4/8. I mean, if the 2/4 is mostly newbs and tourists - then what is the 4/8 and 5/10 player pool considered to be made up of?
Old 02-05-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods 4/8 Game - is it a joke?

[ QUOTE ]
I know the 2/4 is widely considered a joke - the rake is considered by many to be unbeatable, and we all know that you need some fish at a table to make it profitable, but a table of 9 fish and 7-8 to a flop - makes things tough if you aren't making any real big hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

More fish=More EV. Period. The "makes things tough" part you're talking about is variance, and nothing more.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More fish=More EV. Period. The "makes things tough" part you're talking about is variance, and nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I knew that response would be coming. So then if there were no rake involved, would the 2/4 be the most +EV game in the poker room?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I knew that response would be coming. So then if there were no rake involved, would the 2/4 be the most +EV game in the poker room?

[/ QUOTE ]

Percentage-wise, yes. Monetary wise, probably not.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So, my question is: Is the 4/8 any better? Or is it just wealthier newbs and fish? I played in it for the first time last week. I saw a couple of players who were just constantly pulling out more cash and calling down with horrible Aces that they limped with UTG. But I also saw a few players talking about “reads” and some who seemed to be regulars and knew what they were doing.

I liked the 4/8 game overall. I have read that the 5/10 gets to be much tougher, is that true? Is the 4/8 actually considered a more profitable game?

I guess I am just wondering what the popular thoughts/perceptions are about the Foxies 4/8. I mean, if the 2/4 is mostly newbs and tourists - then what is the 4/8 and 5/10 player pool considered to be made up of?

[/ QUOTE ]

While some of the players play 80%+ of the hands, they really are only fish preflop. A lot of the better ones do tend to be decent postflop. With 6+ to a flop, tptk is just going to get run down a decent number of times. Go back to the Miller book, and you need to have the field face more than one bet on the flop and turn or else the chase will be on.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:57 PM

Be prepared(if you're like me this game can tilt you) to get run down a lot as this is no foldem holdem. Last time I played there, this hand happened. I'm in the SB with QQ, its folded to the cutoff(very unusual) who raises, folded to me and I 3 bet and he calls.

Flop: 8 5 3 rainbow

I bet and he calls

Turn: 9

I bet and he calls

River: 9

I bet, he raises and I call.

He sheepishly says "I got real lucky on you" and tables A9o.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:10 PM

RE: A9o

kind of standard, no?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:15 PM

A fairly standard "problem" with 4/8 is that it's played with $1 chips, which makes the pots look larger, even though it's the same number of bets as if it were 2/4 or 3/6. As a result, people chase more since they don't want to let go of a hand in such a huge pot.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

kind of standard, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if this is your worst beat at 4/8, you're in for a ride.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

kind of standard, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if this is your worst beat at 4/8, you're in for a ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad others said it.

With only 6 small in the pot and so many domination possibilities (TT+, AT-AK), taking one off with A9 overs is probably a mistake unless he reads you to be three-betting light as a resteal. But after that, it's hardly the fishiest suckout you'll see.