Default Min-raised semideep with TP

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG ($105.65)
MP ($103.40)
CO ($58.65)
Button ($22.90)
Hero ($64.50)
BB ($56.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $2.50, CO calls $2.50, Button calls $2.50.

Flop: ($12.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $20</font>, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls $10.

Turn: ($52.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, Hero...

I don't have many hands on UTG, but he seems like a terrible player. His UTG limp-call reeks of a set with the flop min-raise, but with his gay turn bet I think I should just stick it in or fold.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Min-raised semideep with TP

You are putting yourself into a brutal spot. AJ suited is an autocheck with this many limpers in the worst possible position on the table. It has far more value as a straight/two pair/flush catcher for big pots then it does as a top pair type of hand... especially vs donks who are willing to stick it in with a wide range of hands.

You might be ahead on this board vs this specific player, but more often than not, you are going to be in trouble when you're getting this type of action with this marginal of a hand out of position.

Definitely check preflop. Lead for 2/3 of the pot on the flop.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Definitely check preflop. Lead for 2/3 of the pot on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be a leak for me. I more often than not raise this up preflop. My reasoning would be that often the overlimpers limp in with marginal hands. I think you can get this HU on the flop often. AJs is quite a reasonable hand, IMO. It sucks to be OOP though. As I said, this might be a leak for me.

As played, leading into 4 players with TP on a drawy flop doesn't seem thát bad to me. But if called we *have to* check turn for pot control: so why are we betting the flop again? Hmm... I have no clue what to do on the flop, actually. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2007, 08:26 AM

raisng pf isn't bad, AJs plays better HU. But you need to raise more, I'd make it 4 here, bit more then the 4bb + 1bb/limper rule as we are oop.. Either that or just complete, raising to 3 is too little imo. As played betting this flop is a good idea, however you have to fold to this. utg is showing a ridiculous amount of strenth. You showed alot of strength pf and that A doesn't bother him. That raise is saying "I can beat AK" there are still 2 players left to act after him and he isn't worried about them. Unless reads indicate o/w this is better then TPTK alot of the time.

The turn bet is very strange, kind of looks like a draw now. I think you should call this given the odds and re-evaluate on the river.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 AM

I agree with those saying limp with this pf. If you do occasionaly choose to raise though you do need to raise more as someone suggested. Just remember that a raise like this is primarily a semi-bluff as you are representing a stronger hand that you have. AJs is just not that strong.

My best guess here is that he either has an A (possibly even AQ but more likely AT-A8) or has a huge hand and doesn't know how to bet it or (unlikely) is worried you will fold or have some freak better hand than his.

Given how cheap it is I call and would call another small bet as well on the river. The information would be worth it I think.