Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Bad Session or Bad Poker?

Hello. I am trying to get some feedback on my dreadfull.,dreadfull, dreadfull session of poker.
I generally play about 20% starting hands and 10% of those I raise. I am going to name the hands I lost with.

A,Ks (twice) Both with top pair ragged boards.

A,Ko With inside draw but ended up making top pair on turn. Lost to a inside river str8.

AA (3 Times)

KK (Twice)

QQ (Once)

JJ (Once)

4 Sets 3 of them with ragged boards.

I missed everyone one of all 7 Flush draws

I missed both of my open ended str8/flush draws.

And 2 open ended str8 draws.

I was speechless as I sat there playing hand after hand knowing full well I should quit in between 30/40 BB.
I could not rip myself from the game. I kept telling myself to keep playing solid poker and it will swing back. It never did! I lost 67 BB for the session and finally hit the leave button.

The last time I had a session that bad was the 3rd week I started playing online which was about 3 years ago.

I guess what i'm looking for is a little feedback on wether this is even possible, is it? When I had a bad session my 3rd week into poker 3 years ago it was because I sucked and played everything suited and/or connected.

Do nights like this really exist?
Is it a bogus site?
Could people see my cards?
I found myself asking all these questions.

Any thoughts/suggestions/questions you may have is welcomed.

I am sorry if it sounds like i'm crying and being a sore loser. I was just very amazed by the situation before me. I never encounterd such a continuous onlaught of horrible beats. It really made me doubt my game. I never did that before.

Thank you everyone.

PS: The session was played at Paradise Poker (Where PokerOffice is not available!
Old 02-09-2006, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Bad Session or Bad Poker?

what are you kidding me?

you are upset about 67bbs?

dude i lost 150bbs today in one session, 67bbs is like nothing
Old 02-09-2006, 11:01 AM

Well I am glad to hear you think i'm being rediculous. So how often do you win then?
Do you play a solid game? From the beating you took today I would think you play more hands and more strongly then I.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:09 AM

150bbs is a relatively small downswing, it sucks, but it happens fairly often. I am beating the limit I play at so I consider my game to be fairly 'solid'
16vpip and 12 pfr.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:25 AM

I recently lost 290BB in under 2k hands, and it wasn't from tilting (okay, I'm sure there was a little tilt in there, but whatever). It was set over set, flush getting rivered by full house, etc.

$hit happens. I'm now up 150 BB in the last 2500 hands. Gotta learn to accept the losing days, weeks, months, years, decades, lifetimes etc, and move on.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to name the hands I lost with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea, but I would take it further. Don't just name them, give them little sweaters to wear and build them a tiny village out of discarded oatmeal boxes. Be creative!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now you're just making stuff up. Is this even mathematically possible? Someone with a calculator run the numbers on this and report back. Also, my gutters are filthy, choked with leaves, so you might want to take a quick look at that. Super!

[ QUOTE ]

I kept telling myself to keep playing solid poker and it will swing back.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but I love playing against guys like you. You suffer horrendous beats and just sit there playing solid poker. I will gladly hit my one- and two- outers against you all night long and take home the $$$.

[ QUOTE ]

I guess what i'm looking for is a little feedback on wether this is even possible, is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it a bogus site?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also found you asking these questions. We are in total agreement here.

[ QUOTE ]
PS: The session was played at Paradise Poker (Where PokerOffice is not available!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is no excuse. No serious player would ever be caught without PokerOffice, or, even worse, not having the faintest clue what it is.

/mc
Old 02-09-2006, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am going to name the hands I lost with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea, but I would take it further. Don't just name them, give them little sweaters to wear and build them a tiny village out of discarded oatmeal boxes. Be creative!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now you're just making stuff up. Is this even mathematically possible? Someone with a calculator run the numbers on this and report back. Also, my gutters are filthy, choked with leaves, so you might want to take a quick look at that. Super!

[ QUOTE ]

I kept telling myself to keep playing solid poker and it will swing back.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but I love playing against guys like you. You suffer horrendous beats and just sit there playing solid poker. I will gladly hit my one- and two- outers against you all night long and take home the $$$.

[ QUOTE ]

I guess what i'm looking for is a little feedback on wether this is even possible, is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it a bogus site?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also found you asking these questions. We are in total agreement here.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is no excuse. No serious player would ever be caught without PokerOffice, or, even worse, not having the faintest clue what it is.

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious... absolutely hilarious... First time I've laughed at a post in awhile.

To the OP, you suck at poker obviously.... I'm looking for somebody to stake me for the WSOP I'll even give you 20%... Don't waste your money online.... pay for me to play poker...
Old 02-09-2006, 01:08 PM

Read 2+2, Post hands, STFU.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:58 PM

Also, move down to a limit where the losses wont bother you.
Stay there until you got back what you have lost now.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:54 PM

Christopher,

I didn't used to think this was possible, but I have witnessed first hand for the last 5000 hands that it is very possible. It can also go on for much longer than one session.

I am a 20VPIP, 9Preflop Raise, 2Agg kind of player. I play decent postflop but i am no pro for sure. Been winning over the last 50000 hands or so at a 3-4 BB/100 rate. BUT for the last 5000 hands, i have been getting stomped.

My WTSD for this period is 34 and my W$SD is 42!!!. This is the worst downswing that I have seen and it has all but broken me. The scary thing is that many of the great players on this forum have seen much worse, both in length and severity.

I hope yours only lasts one session, but be prepared for worse, it will come at some point if you keep playing.

If you love the game, stick with it, play good poker, and enjoy it.

mitch