Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Semi-bluff turn / River barrel

Great Full live 20-40.

Villain in this hand is an agro young guy. We've played some pots together. I have position on him and for the most part I've been just calling him down. I've caught him bluffing once, had the better hand when he went for value, etc. All in all it's our first time playing, I've started off slowly as I always do and so he's tried to run over me. I'm ahead in the fight.

Villain opens in EP, two coldcallers, I coldcall the button with QTss. 5 ways to the flop.

Flop 752 one spade. He bets, folded to me. Twice he's had big hands, bet the flop and then c/r'd the turn. One of them against me. I call with the intention of making a play on him to a safe card if he bets the turn. BB calls. 3 way.

Turn 9s. BB ch's, he bets, I raise, BB folds, he calls.

River Tx. He ch's, I bet.

Comments?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Semi-bluff turn / River barrel

It's a good line...I like it, but if, say the turn were a 2 or something, the line looks pretty cheesy. Therefore, I think it would be mildly hotter to raise the flop. It's soooo dry and low that I can't see him seeing a showdown with any Ace high hand. There's a lot of low cards that can hit that can make a decent opponent think "bah...he could have just picked up a draw."
Old 02-03-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Results

No repsonses so I guess guys figured it was a BBV post. Nope. He called and took it down with A5o. Posted it figuring the range of responses would be -

Spewing
Why bother
Sounds good
Have to bluff sometime

And wondered which one would take first prize. I liked the hand for meta-game/changing gears stuff. Oh well. Next hand.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a good line...I like it, but if, say the turn were a 2 or something, the line looks pretty cheesy. Therefore, I think it would be mildly hotter to raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point about a brick. Though in these wild games flop raises are a given and carry hardly any weight. I've said I'm willing to make moves on the BB streets and think it has the most cred. Tx for the response.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
No repsonses so I guess guys figured it was a BBV post. Nope. He called and took it down with A5o. Posted it figuring the range of responses would be -

Spewing
Why bother
Sounds good
Have to bluff sometime

And wondered which one would take first prize. I liked the hand for meta-game/changing gears stuff. Oh well. Next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably don't realize that you posted that you made top pair on the river. The turn raise is fine given the context you've given us.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You probably don't realize that you posted that you made top pair on the river. The turn raise is fine given the context you've given us

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn. That's dumb. I originally had a J there and changed it. Freudian thing I guess. I know it was a card bigger than the 9. I missed. That explains it. Tx.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:56 PM

that kinda changes the hand.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:21 AM

The turn raise is fine, but I would be done with it after that. I think it's awfuly rare that a player will call a turn raise with a pair and then fold for one more bet heads up on the river.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's awfuly rare that a player will call a turn raise with a pair and then fold for one more bet heads up on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But I thought he was empty as I said he had c/r'd the turn with big hands. This was a trash one he held on to.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's awfuly rare that a player will call a turn raise with a pair and then fold for one more bet heads up on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But I thought he was empty as I said he had c/r'd the turn with big hands. This was a trash one he held on to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, given your read I think you will take it down with a turn raise fairly often. But when he calls the turn with whatever trash he's holding, he has basicaly made up his mind to look you up.