Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Some hands from a Live MTT - Comments needed

I took 1st in my local B&M live tourney ($120 buy-in, no rebuys, 105 players, t3000 starting chips) and wanted some feedback on some hands I thought were interesting.

1st level, 25/25

3 limpers and I have 5s 6s on the button, so I limp too, blinds check. (Anybody raise here...this is like the 2nd hand and I wanted to see a cheap flop).

Flop: 4h 5d 7h (Pot t150, 6 players)

UTG limper bets t300, 2 folds. I like this flop and think UTG is making a move, so I raise to t600. (minraise too fishy?). Blinds fold and UTG calls.

Turn: Th (Pot t1350, 2 players)

UTG checks, and I slowly check behind.

River: 2c (Pot t1350, 2 players)

UTG checks. I think I can steal this pot. I'm probably behind an overpair, I don't put him on the flush and I read him as weak. I bet t1000. UTG folds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd level, 25/50

1 limper in MP. Jh 7h on the button and decide to get creative (ie, "fishy-cute"). I minraise t100. Both blinds call as does MP limper.

Flop: Tc 8d 6h (Pot t400, 4 players)

SB bets t100, 2 folds and I call. I think SB probably has top pair so I call with my one over card and gutshot.

Turn: 3d (Pot t600, 2 players)

SB checks, and I check behind.

River: 9h (Pot t600, 2 players)

SB checks. I bet t600 like I'm trying to steal. SB calls and is disgusted when I turn over. I like showing this hand as it now gives me a LAG table image.

2nd level, 25/50

Folded around to button who limps. I have AKo in the SB and decide to just complete, BB checks. (I sometimes limps AK in early position to disguise my hands.)

Flop: 9 5 4 rainbow (Pot t150, 3 players)

I check, BB checks, button bets t100, I call, BB calls.

Turn: 3s (Pot t450, 3 players)

I check, BB checks, button checks.

River: 2c (Pot t450, 3 players)

Okay, I make the wheel but if BB or Button has a 6, I’m at the bottom end. I bet t300, BB folds, button folds his A8s face up and says “respect”. I wait for the dealer to muck his hand and turn over my AK. He wants his cards back to chop the pot but dealer says too late.

3rd level, 50/100

MP1 (player from level hand above) raises to t300. Folded around to my BB and I have 5s 6s again. I decide to call and see a flop.

Flop: 6d 6h 5c (Pot t650, 2 players)

I naturally check. MP1 bets t1000. I "tank" and call saying "okay..I'll see one more card."

Turn: 7d (Pot t2650, 2 players)

I check again and MP2 checks behind. I don't like this turn as it coordinates the board and makes it scary for my opponent.

River: Jd (Pot t2650, 2 players)

I value bet t1000 and MP1 folds. I turn over and show my flopped boat.

4th level, 100/200

MP raises to t600, folded to me in BB with QTo. I call and hope for a good flop. Before the flop is dealt, I check in the dark and MP also checks in the dark.

Flop: Q T 5 rainbow (Pot t1300, 2 players)

Turn: 7 (Pot t1300, 2 players)

With his dark check, I put MP on AK/AQ and decide my hand is ahead right now and want to avoid being rivered. I overbet t2000.

MP tanks but mucks AJo face up.

4th level, 100/200

UTG+2 minraises to t200, MP player calls and I call in CO with Kd 9d (I know…fold this PF….but it was soooooted.). Folded to BB who calls.

Flop: Kh 2d 2c (Pot t850, 4 players)

BB checks, UTG+2 (OR) checks, Mp checks and I bet the pot, t800. Folded to UTG+2 who check raises to t2400. Folded to me, and I also fold but muck with the Kd face up. UTG shows pocket Kings for the flopped boat. Table tells him he left money on the table by raising with the nuts.

5th level, 200/400

I’m MP with AA. The button is a big stack that was moved to our table a couple of orbits ago and has been bullying. I limp and try to set up a play. There’s 1 more limper and button makes his usual raise to t1000. Folded to BB who calls. Actions on me and I go into the tank and pretend to count my chips. I say out loud, “What the hell…all-in.” 1 fold to button who asks to count it down (after pulling in the 1000, I have 4600 behind). Button counts out his chips but eventually mucks. BB folds and I turn AA face up. Asian dealer lady yells, “Aiiyaaaa, pocket A.”

6th level, 300/600

I’m UTG and raise to t1800 with Ks 2s. Folded to late position Big Stack from above who smooth calls, rest of the table folds.

Flop: 8h 5h 2h (Pot t4500, 2 players)

I stare down big stack and slowly check Big stack checks.

Turn: Ad (Pot t4500, 2 players)

I put Villain on a pocket pair and decide to bluff that my PF raise was a big ace. I bet t3000 (I have about t5000 behind). Villain tanks and says “Pocket Aces again?”. He mucks while saying he had top and bottom pair…A2. Table tells him “Good laydown” while I scoop the pot.

7th level, 500/1000

I’m MP with AA again ( I have about t15,000). 1 call in LP (shorty who surprisingly doesn’t push since he only had t4000) and my arch nemesis Big Stack also calls, rest of the table folds.

Flop: Ts 7c 3d (Pot t10500, 3 players)

I’m not afraid of that flop and make the same t3000 bet, acting like I missed. Shorty folds (which really surprises me) and Big Stack pushes all in. He has me covered and started the hand with about t20,000). This really surprises me and I tank. If he has pocket 10’ or 7’s, would he push like that? I say outloud that I can’t lay this down and call. We both turn over and he has QQ. Turn and river are bricks and I double up. Big stack says he can’t believe I had Aces 3 times now.

8th level, 1000/2000

I’ve been card dead a few orbits and am down to t24,000. I’ve been moved and haven’t gotten good reads on the table yet. MP player who has about t30,000 min-raises to t4,000. Folded to me in BB with JTo and I decide to call and see a flop for half price.

Flop: Q rag, rag rainbow.(Pot t9000, 2 players)

I check and MP raiser checks. Hmmm.

Turn: Th (Pot t9000, 2 players)

I take a stab and bet t6000. MP raises to t12000. I’m probably behind but I have outs if the J/T rivers. I look at the tournament clock and see that there are 13 players left, Final table is at 10 and money is at 9. I fold.

------------------------------------------------------

I make the final table with a shortstack of about t22,000. Not much to write about in the FT as it is a crapshoot. But with playing tight in early position and aggressive in late position, I managed to out last a few bigger stacks. When we got down to 5 players, I was able to run over the table as I don’t think they had a lot of experience playing shorthanded (Thank you Pokerstars for your Turbo SnG’s.)

I ended up with 1st, taking home $2830 cash plus a $1050 seat in a WPT satellite. I would have been paid $3030, but when we hit the final table, I suggested we pay 10 places and take $200.00 off the top. The table agreed and we didn’t have a bubble.

I know I made many mistake and I’m trying to fix those leaks. I got lucky on several hands and want to know if I was “Gus Hansen” creative or Danny Ngyuen Fishy.

TIA, Rod
Old 02-03-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Some hands from a Live MTT - Comments needed

If you post these hands one at a time - and maybe with (at least) a few hours in between - you might actually get some responses. Posting 10 hands this way is just way to massive.

Regarding your hand #01:
Raising before the flop is a real bad idea. You can't handle a re-raise, you generally want to play suited connectors in a multiway pot, and you don't EVER have to worry about deception in a $120 buy-in B & M tournament. Especially not on 1st level.

Flop: If you're truly a psychic and can tell that UTG is making a move by betting twice the pot with 3 more players to act you should probably just call and hope to hit your outs. Min-raising a poor player to isolate is not going to do you any good, and you want a chance to be paid off if you hit - you'd rather have more people stay in.

Turn: You're concerned that UTG holds the flush? I'm not sure why, but if not it makes no sense checking behind here. Betting 500 to represent the flush would probably take the pot down if he doesn't have it.

River: UTG's second check convinces you he didn't have the flush. Again I'm really not sure why. So you bet 75% of the pot - what hand are your representing here? Would you bet that much if you hand the flush?

The way you played the hand seems to me pretty much to be spewing chips.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I took 1st in my local B&M live tourney ($120 buy-in, no rebuys, 105 players, t3000 starting chips) and wanted some feedback on some hands I thought were interesting.

1st level, 25/25

3 limpers and I have 5s 6s on the button, so I limp too, blinds check. (Anybody raise here...this is like the 2nd hand and I wanted to see a cheap flop).

Flop: 4h 5d 7h (Pot t150, 6 players)

UTG limper bets t300, 2 folds. I like this flop and think UTG is making a move, so I raise to t600. (minraise too fishy?). Blinds fold and UTG calls.

Turn: Th (Pot t1350, 2 players)

UTG checks, and I slowly check behind.

River: 2c (Pot t1350, 2 players)

UTG checks. I think I can steal this pot. I'm probably behind an overpair, I don't put him on the flush and I read him as weak. I bet t1000. UTG folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

The minraise on the flop is just bad. Someone who can be betting into you on this flop is never 'making a move.' He probably has a hand that's better than yours, and he might just cram over your full of [censored] minraise if he has anything good. He might have a pair and a straight draw too, so he's obviously calling. Either raise a decent amount or just call here. Your turn check is fine and your river bet is fine if you think you can fold out a hand like 76. If not, just check behind because your hand is probably good. You're never folding 88 or 99 here.

[ QUOTE ]
2nd level, 25/50

1 limper in MP. Jh 7h on the button and decide to get creative (ie, "fishy-cute"). I minraise t100. Both blinds call as does MP limper.

Flop: Tc 8d 6h (Pot t400, 4 players)

SB bets t100, 2 folds and I call. I think SB probably has top pair so I call with my one over card and gutshot.

Turn: 3d (Pot t600, 2 players)

SB checks, and I check behind.

River: 9h (Pot t600, 2 players)

SB checks. I bet t600 like I'm trying to steal. SB calls and is disgusted when I turn over. I like showing this hand as it now gives me a LAG table image.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your minraise preflop is just dumb. You don't need to try to be the next wpt champion in this tournament. Make strong, solid moves. If you want to isolate the weak limpers, raise it up so you actually have some fold equity. That's the most important thing when everyone is shortstacked. You got lucky and hit a gutshot, whoopee.

[ QUOTE ]
2nd level, 25/50

Folded around to button who limps. I have AKo in the SB and decide to just complete, BB checks. (I sometimes limps AK in early position to disguise my hands.)

Okay, I make the wheel but if BB or Button has a 6, I’m at the bottom end. I bet t300, BB folds, button folds his A8s face up and says “respect”. I wait for the dealer to muck his hand and turn over my AK. He wants his cards back to chop the pot but dealer says too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limping in here is just bad. You're not trapping, you're just playing weak. Raise it, get a call from the button and then bet the flop and take a ton of chips from him. Start trying to fold people out. The fact that you got a fold out of him on the river is ridiculously lucky.

[ QUOTE ]
3rd level, 50/100

MP1 (player from level hand above) raises to t300. Folded around to my BB and I have 5s 6s again. I decide to call and see a flop.

I naturally check. MP1 bets t1000. I "tank" and call saying "okay..I'll see one more card."

Turn: 7d (Pot t2650, 2 players)

I check again and MP2 checks behind. I don't like this turn as it coordinates the board and makes it scary for my opponent.

River: Jd (Pot t2650, 2 players)

I value bet t1000 and MP1 folds. I turn over and show my flopped boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't been putting stack sizes in any of these hands, and they would REALLY be helpful in a spot like this. If you and your opponent both have over 30 bb's I guess this call could be okay, but the fact that you talked on the flop and said "I'll see one more card" and then you bet the river just screams that you have a monster. DON'T SHOW HIM YOUR [censored] HAND. What is the point of showing him?

[ QUOTE ]
4th level, 100/200

MP raises to t600, folded to me in BB with QTo. I call and hope for a good flop. Before the flop is dealt, I check in the dark and MP also checks in the dark.

With his dark check, I put MP on AK/AQ and decide my hand is ahead right now and want to avoid being rivered. I overbet t2000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, you sucked out again. Don't check in the dark. Leading a flop like this against a pfr when you're somewhat deep is a great way to get a lot more chips out of him. Again, post stack sizes. If you're less than 7k deep (both of you) I hate this call preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
4th level, 100/200

UTG+2 minraises to t200, MP player calls and I call in CO with Kd 9d (I know…fold this PF….but it was soooooted.). Folded to BB who calls.

BB checks, UTG+2 (OR) checks, Mp checks and I bet the pot, t800. Folded to UTG+2 who check raises to t2400. Folded to me, and I also fold but muck with the Kd face up. UTG shows pocket Kings for the flopped boat. Table tells him he left money on the table by raising with the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

SHOW STACK SIZES DAMMIT. Fold preflop if you're less than 30 bb's deep. Good flop fold, completely standard.

[ QUOTE ]
5th level, 200/400

I’m MP with AA. The button is a big stack that was moved to our table a couple of orbits ago and has been bullying. I limp and try to set up a play. There’s 1 more limper and button makes his usual raise to t1000. Folded to BB who calls. Actions on me and I go into the tank and pretend to count my chips. I say out loud, “What the hell…all-in.” 1 fold to button who asks to count it down (after pulling in the 1000, I have 4600 behind). Button counts out his chips but eventually mucks. BB folds and I turn AA face up. Asian dealer lady yells, “Aiiyaaaa, pocket A.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop. Talking. Why are you giving away so much during a hand? They know you have something. Don't act like you don't care during a hand. And don't freaking show your hand if you're trying to deceive them. You're essentially telling them "THIS IS HOW I SPEAK WHEN I HAVE THE NUTS."

I don't like your limp here, even without stack sizes. Did I mention stack sizes? Nice raise by the button. What's up with all the minraises?

[ QUOTE ]
6th level, 300/600

I’m UTG and raise to t1800 with Ks 2s. Folded to late position Big Stack from above who smooth calls, rest of the table folds.

I put Villain on a pocket pair and decide to bluff that my PF raise was a big ace. I bet t3000 (I have about t5000 behind). Villain tanks and says “Pocket Aces again?”. He mucks while saying he had top and bottom pair…A2. Table tells him “Good laydown” while I scoop the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

HE DID NOT HAVE A2. Give us stack sizes. Nice 'staredown.' I'm sure that accomplished a lot.

[ QUOTE ]
7th level, 500/1000

I’m MP with AA again ( I have about t15,000). 1 call in LP (shorty who surprisingly doesn’t push since he only had t4000) and my arch nemesis Big Stack also calls, rest of the table folds.

I’m not afraid of that flop and make the same t3000 bet, acting like I missed. Shorty folds (which really surprises me) and Big Stack pushes all in. He has me covered and started the hand with about t20,000). This really surprises me and I tank. If he has pocket 10’ or 7’s, would he push like that? I say outloud that I can’t lay this down and call. We both turn over and he has QQ. Turn and river are bricks and I double up. Big stack says he can’t believe I had Aces 3 times now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you raised preflop. Good boy. You're all super short right now, so start playing for those blinds. I'd bet more on the flop (probably cram), since he's never folding a pair here and he's certainly not folding an overpair. Once he pushes, don't freaking kid yourself. He's jamming a set here every time, although he should be push/folding anything preflop here. Snapcall his push.

[ QUOTE ]
8th level, 1000/2000

I’ve been card dead a few orbits and am down to t24,000. I’ve been moved and haven’t gotten good reads on the table yet. MP player who has about t30,000 min-raises to t4,000. Folded to me in BB with JTo and I decide to call and see a flop for half price.

I take a stab and bet t6000. MP raises to t12000. I’m probably behind but I have outs if the J/T rivers. I look at the tournament clock and see that there are 13 players left, Final table is at 10 and money is at 9. I fold.

------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

The call preflop is really enh, but I might do it if the pfr is weak. If he's tight, fold. Especially if he was the guy with kings from before who minraised.

Turn play seems fine. He obviously has a monster and you don't have even close to odds to spike, and you might be drawing dead here.

[ QUOTE ]
I make the final table with a shortstack of about t22,000. Not much to write about in the FT as it is a crapshoot. But with playing tight in early position and aggressive in late position, I managed to out last a few bigger stacks. When we got down to 5 players, I was able to run over the table as I don’t think they had a lot of experience playing shorthanded (Thank you Pokerstars for your Turbo SnG’s.)

I ended up with 1st, taking home $2830 cash plus a $1050 seat in a WPT satellite. I would have been paid $3030, but when we hit the final table, I suggested we pay 10 places and take $200.00 off the top. The table agreed and we didn’t have a bubble.

I know I made many mistake and I’m trying to fix those leaks. I got lucky on several hands and want to know if I was “Gus Hansen” creative or Danny Ngyuen Fishy.

TIA, Rod

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU OFFERED A CHOP TO GET RID OF THE BUBBLE? That's the most profitable spot in live poker! Trying to get rid of the bubble when you're in pushbot mode is ridiculous. You should've destroyed the table during bubble mode.

I think you played a lot (most) of these hands way too tricky and you need to focus on playing a lot more solid until you get your fundamentals down. Not every bet is 'making a move.' You don't need the nuts to be betting, and it's not because you want people to fold. However, you seem to not understand the concept of preflop fold equity.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:59 PM

Thank you for taking the time to review and especially write up such honest feedback. I just started playing a year ago and have a lot to learn. I guess I try to mimic too many of the LAGs around my B&M who seem to always finish ITM.

I'll go back and review what you guys have said more in depth and hope to understand these concepts with time.

However, in defense of my talking up the chop, I was one of the two short stacks when we got down to bubble. I had t22k with the blinds being 2000/4000. Avg stack should have been around t32k and the chip leader probably had t50k. I know I should always be playing for 1st, but at the time, I didn't consider that I had a chance to make it that deep.

Thanks again, Rod
Old 02-03-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2nd level, 25/50

[/ QUOTE ]

The flat call in SB with AK to button's limp is terrible. Button should call the river.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hesitating a little is OK, but the remark is a tell.
4th level, 100/200
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Check in the dark didn't help you. Bet a little less on the turn.
[ QUOTE ]

4th level, 100/200

[/ QUOTE ]
No need to bet pot on this flop with TPNK. Table is right. Villain should flat call.

[ QUOTE ]

I say out loud, “What the hell…all-in.”

[/ QUOTE ]
That is awful when limpreraising allin with AA. You need to be more subtile. Did you notice you get no action after those comments.
6th level, 300/600
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold K2s UTG. [ QUOTE ]

7th level, 500/1000

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't make the 28% of pot bet, but it is not terrible. No reason to think before calling the allin. You may be beat, but there is no way you can fold this.
[ QUOTE ]

8th level, 1000/2000

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check/call the turn, rather than bet/folding with 2nd pair.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:04 PM

good reply gobbo
Old 02-04-2007, 05:57 AM

wow gobo, thats a nice reply. GJ! and congrats with the winnings lately !