Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 01:21 AM

Default Glasses

Normally I am not one to post a "Help me pick out X thread," and I don't think El Diablo would stand for it in any event. Hopefully this will turn into a much more extensive thread than that, but this is the germ: I need glasses.

A little background. When I was a kid, I wore coke-bottle glasses with thick black frames. Horrible things, like Ralphie from A Christmas Story, but black rims. When I went to take the driver's license exam when I was 16, I decided wtf, and slipped my goggles into my pocket for the eye exam. I passed. At that moment I decided that if the State of North Carolina in its infinite wisdom was going to let me tool around in a 2 ton motor vehicle with unassisted vision, I was never wearing glasses again, and I haven't.

I still get along fine. But I'm 35 now. My eyes are very tired at the end of the day. My left eye is significantly worse than my right. I probably won't do lasik or anything like that. My wife wants me to get glasses; she thinks I'll look very professorial. I think she just wants me to look old to co-eds. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I have no idea what looks stylish in terms of eye glasses. I haven't worn them in almost 20 years now. I tried some on and they all looked horrific. With the obvious level of taste on display in the Going Out w/o Coming Out thread, I figured the El D.generates could hook me up.

So, help.

As payment for your help in this thread, you may photoshop me into the eyewear of your choice.

PS. The eye patch has been done.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Glasses

Not that i have any idea at all what i'm talking about, but i think your facial hair may make glasses look worse than they would sans-beard.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:49 AM

I've never worn glasses, so I cannot help you other then to say whatever you feel confortable in should be your choice.

[ QUOTE ]
As payment for your help in this thread, you may photoshop me into the eyewear of your choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 02-03-2007, 01:54 AM

I don't know what style I'd go with, but try to get the frameless kind.

Plus, you're a science guy. Isn't there a rule that you need to have glasses before they hand you your degree?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT

Old 02-03-2007, 01:56 AM

Boro,

I too need glasses and went through the same experience of hating every pair I tried on. I think in all likelyhood most of them were actually fine, but we get so used to our own faces, and attached to our self-images, that a drastic change like glasses is always going to look awkward to us, probably even if we actually look better for it. Not sure what my point is really, just that you probably look a lot better in the glasses you tried than you thought you did, so don't worry about it too much. My plan is to take someone with me who I trust knows better and let them choose for me. Or I might just do like you and ignore it as long as I can.

Anyway, your beard kind of reminded me of Johnny Depp in The Ninth Gate, so here is my recommendation... I think you could pull it off...

Old 02-03-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense to boro but I don't think we should be using Johnny Depp for inspiration. setting the bar a tad high.

Boro,

recently went with a friend who was getting glasses. Just go get checked and they will go through the whole process of trying on frames, talking to you about what looks best etc. That's really the only way to do it.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:28 AM

The key is don't pick them out yourself. Use the help of a female (or two or three), let them decide.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:52 AM

The real question here is why were you wearing thick glasses as a kid if you haven't needed them in your adult life until now.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:01 AM

Dawg,

I'm not the eyeglass donk, but a little more info would help. It sounds like you are mildly myopic (near-sighted), but the tired eyes at the end of the day don't really go with this. Do you see better at distance or near without glasses? Are you having to sit a little farther from the computer screen or reading material? If you have an old pair of glasses, could you start a fire with them? (and not by igniting them-- more like Piggie from Lord of the Flies)
Old 02-03-2007, 03:04 AM

[censored] pretty much said it all. The people working at those stores usually know stuff about skull shapes and facial structure that no hetrosexual man would know.

Be sure that you have some friends comment on how you look with the frame(s?) you like the best. Just remember that they are used to seeing you without glasses, and may be a bit biased like youself.