Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Feedback on Dating Site Layout?

Hey everyone,

I've been working on a dating site for a few months, and I'm looking for input about the layout I made last night for my homepage. It's not complete, but it's a start. I'm hoping to add more color to the right. (Also, the image on the right I'll be replacing since it's something I ganked from Google Images just to try the layout idea.)

http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bbsdz4.png
Old 02-02-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Feedback on Dating Site Layout?

I like the overall layout. I would try to get a better logo than just that book.

I would also consider moving the nav menu below the logo instead of above it; most people will start reading the page at the logo because their eyes are drawn to it. They will work their way down then have to scan the page again to see the menu.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:51 PM

I like the way it looks, but it looks kind of like lots of small time dating sites.

Did you use a script for this site? Which one? Comments on it?

Or, did you use a custom built script?
Old 02-02-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the way it looks, but it looks kind of like lots of small time dating sites.

Did you use a script for this site? Which one? Comments on it?

Or, did you use a custom built script?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm building it with the CakePHP framework, but all work on top of that is custom built. I like the framework. I tried using CodeIgniter and PHP on TRAX, but they were both lacking. I think CakePHP finally has everything I need from a framework, though I hear Symfony is supposed to be good too.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:41 PM

To me, "Worlds Newest Online Dating Site" screams "Fewest fish in the sea dating site", I would think of a new catchier thing.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me, "Worlds Newest Online Dating Site" screams "Fewest fish in the sea dating site", I would think of a new catchier thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Miss Pink. I wasn't planning on having that be there, but I was just throwing some temporary text in to test the layout. It's a good point though, and I'll keep it in mind when I publish the site. I'm also planning to promote the site starting in a city or two near home and working outward from there in order to build a profile base and get the site going.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:21 PM

I agree with freakin, I think it looks great but I would definately change your logo and header text to something a little less simple
Old 02-02-2007, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the overall layout. I would try to get a better logo than just that book.

I would also consider moving the nav menu below the logo instead of above it; most people will start reading the page at the logo because their eyes are drawn to it. They will work their way down then have to scan the page again to see the menu.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with freakin, I think it looks great but I would definately change your logo and header text to something a little less simple

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the feedback both of you. I agree that the book is a little "simple". I'll have to try to come up with something more creative since I don't really have the funds to pay for a logo.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:03 PM

I like the look, and agree what has been said about the logo, but I was wondering how exactly you're going to market this in your city?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the look, and agree what has been said about the logo, but I was wondering how exactly you're going to market this in your city?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm mainly planning on using AdWords and similar advertising units. (I know AdWords allows you to display ads by region, which will be helpful.) I admit marketing is probably not a strong point of mine, so any suggestions/alternatives would be greatly appreciated.