Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Playing Bullets on a Paired Board

I'm not sure if I played this hand right or not, so I'll see what you guys would do.

$10 $15k Guaranteed PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed)

Button (t1558)
SB (t2065)
BB (t3733)
UTG (t1945)
UTG+1 (t6209)
Hero (t2175)
MP2 (t1740)
MP3 (t4800)
CO (t2510)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls t300, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t300, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t200.

Flop: (t1250) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks.

What to bet here? (if anything?)
Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Playing Bullets on a Paired Board

I am going broke here.

Bet 600 hoping to induce a check-raise from 66-TT/QQ.

A check is absolutely fine with the villains drawing to at most 2 outs and probably needing runner runner help. The problem with a check is if a T/Q/K falls on the turn the villains will be happy to fold their 99 where they will probably go broke with it on the flop if you bet.

I also continuation bet this flop because I pretty much always c-bet the flop... thats just what I do
Old 02-01-2007, 11:48 PM

Check, 1/2 pot are both fine.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:21 AM

I would bet out about 1/2 pot here. I think checking is a bit suspicious and the others would expect the preflop raiser to bet at a paired flop.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:29 AM

OK thanks, I actually put out 700.

MP3 folded, but the button went all in for t1258, the BB folded so its t558 to me. At this point I assumed he knew I couldn't fold for those odds, so he didn't care if I called him, which probably meant a J.
But I couldn't lay it down and sure enough, he turned over J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Could I have folded there even if I were "sure" he had it, given the pot odds?
I initially thought I bet too much on the flop, to leave me no exit, and too little preflop, as I invited too many along for the ride.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:48 AM

I think PF you should bet more than the standard raise with AA. Maybe T450 - T600. Though it does depend on the type of table youre at and what the raises have been PF. That would filter out some of your callers and you would have a better chance to be HU. After the flop 1/2 pot bet is good.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK thanks, I actually put out 700.

MP3 folded, but the button went all in for t1258, the BB folded so its t558 to me. At this point I assumed he knew I couldn't fold for those odds, so he didn't care if I called him, which probably meant a J.
But I couldn't lay it down and sure enough, he turned over J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Could I have folded there even if I were "sure" he had it, given the pot odds?
I initially thought I bet too much on the flop, to leave me no exit, and too little preflop, as I invited too many along for the ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

you played fine. dont be results oriented.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think PF you should bet more than the standard raise with AA. Maybe T450 - T600. Though it does depend on the type of table youre at and what the raises have been PF. That would filter out some of your callers and you would have a better chance to be HU. After the flop 1/2 pot bet is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. You get AA once in every 220 hands. You need to take this opportunity to accumulate chips. Stop concerning yourself with protecting your hand and start finding ways to get your opponents to put money in as significant underdogs

Villain does not necessarily have a J after his push. He very well could have had 66-KK. If he is a good player a jack is even more unlikely. Folding to his push would be terrible
Old 02-02-2007, 07:24 AM

I agree with gwhiz_612 that raising more is cool under one set of conditions:
* Table is absurdly loose
* Donkos will call bigger raises and not suspect a big hand

For example, on PokerRoom I frequently raise more than 3xBB early (with all hands, not just AA) because there are so many loose and bad players.

Usually though, betting the standard amount is better, at least if you only bet big with your monsters...if you frequently mix it up, that's another matter.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:34 AM

This is my new big idea. If you can raise more with bullets, get the same number of callers and no one notes anything unusual, then you should do so. If no one's paying attention, you're not giving away information. Note, this is not about protecting the hand, it's simply about getting value.