Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Bullets at the Bellagio

This hand occurred at about 6 am in the Bellagio poker room on Wednesday morning. My sleep schedule was F'd so I was totally fresh, but most people seemed stuck or wavering. Main villain in this hand was an older, apparently Bell-regular white guy who seemed to play tight/weak in the 30 mins he'd been there. He had clearly just woken up for the day and prob does this regularly to pray on degenerates. Anyway, here's the hand.

It's folded to me and I open in the cutoff with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I had been raising a lot lately, generally taking pots without a showdown. The SB, a tough regular player, makes it three bets. Main villain the BB coldcalls, something I'd yet to see him do. I four-bet and both players called.

The flop came K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB checks, BB checks, I bet, SB check-raises, BB coldcalls, I reraise, SB calls and now BB comes alive and makes it four-bets. This is a crappy situation for me in that I'm probably torched by a set, but I can't fold yet. I guess it's possible he has something like K8s for two pair which I have outs against, but it seems likely he'd fold that preflop. A huge flush draw is possible, but I'm not sure he'd jam it like that (I think he would if it was something like KQs for a pair/draw combo). Anyway, my gut said set, but I realize there are other possibilities since I don't know him totally and the pot is big so I feel I should protect my hand in case it's good or in case I can draw out. So I make it five bets to hopefully drive out the SB. It works and he folds with some irritation. The BB calls.

The turn brings the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. My opponent checked and I checked behind. The river brought the lovely 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB bet and I folded. What would you have done on a relative brick river card? Comments on flop/turn appreciated.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Bullets at the Bellagio

if the river bricked off were you going to call his river bet? 100% he will bet the river when u check the turn imo.

if you were going to call blank rivers, then the turn is an easy bet fold to a raise.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 PM

Jeff, I think think your writing skills got the better of you with this post. I opened it and moved on. Came back when I couldn't believe the lack of responses. As played a fold. What do you beat? A's cracked again.

Playing mucho 30-60 stud lately. Wish it was half as easy holdem. The difference between the games from where you started on the first bet and where you stand on the third bet is unbelievably in favor of stud.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff, I think think your writing skills got the better of you with this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what this means - too long? My bad.

[ QUOTE ]
As played a fold. What do you beat? A's cracked again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I don't think the river play is debatable. I was curious about the flop/turn play and if you'd pay off a blank river. I sort of lean against it against this guy even w/o the scary river because I beat nothing. I didn't intend the post to be a bad-beat post - I've lost with aces before, no big. I was just curious about the flop/turn action and whether people auto pay a blank turn card.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2007, 11:45 PM

i play the flop the same and i call a river blank. people do stupid things at random times. simple/canned response, but its true enough.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:47 PM

Yea, I likely would have paid off, but just didn't know if it made sense since it goes against my read. But you are right, people are random, and it is one bet in a big pot.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, I likely would have paid off, but just didn't know if it made sense since it goes against my read. But you are right, people are random, and it is one bet in a big pot.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

was this in 30 or 100 btw?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was curious about the flop/turn play

[/ QUOTE ]

I was too. I'd play it the same. Yeah, too long for initial post. Save some for follow-up thoughts.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:54 PM

30. I never saw a 100 there, the only thing I saw was one 60-120 game on a couple of nights, but I didn't get a chance to play.

Jeff
Old 02-02-2007, 03:06 AM

I think you played the hand quite well. I tend to like the flop line more if it's made with the intention of trying to see a showdown for one more big bet, but it's a thin call to begin with, and bailing out once some awful cards hit the board is good, mature hold 'em.