Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Not sure if I like my line here...

Still quite a way from the bubble. I was hoping to pick up the blinds. If it got checked around, I would have bet/fold the turn and checked the river or make a blocking bet depending on position.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t100/t200
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
5 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t800</font>, Button calls t800 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1100)</font>, SB folds, BB calls t600 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1900)</font>.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t2500, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets t1800</font>, BB calls t1800 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t4300)</font>, Hero folds.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Not sure if I like my line here...

Stack sizes?

In a vacuum, I think you have to bet this flop for about 2000. Now that you've checked and seen a bet and call in front of you though, letting it go isn't horrible. Without knowing the stack sizes involved though, I can't say much more. In fact, what I've already said might be wrong.

--TFGoose
Old 02-01-2007, 07:06 PM

i need more info. stack sizes? did you have any read on button? would he take a stab here with a draw or a K or air? obv. BB either has 66, weaker ace, flush draw.

as played, with the right reads, i shove. you think button calls a shove with AJ/AT? then all you're worrying about is BB, and only 1 of his 3 possibilities beats you.

HOWEVER...avoid all this pain and bet t1700-t2100 on the [censored] flop. if you're raised, you're beat. done deal.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 PM

I had the 4x open, postflop I usually bet/fold and shutdown if called. after you did check after that action folding is fine.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 PM

I can't remember what exactly the stack sizes were, but I think it was around 7000 or so. So there's a real chance someone is walking after this. If I bet the flop, I'm basically committing about half my stack in this hand. I think check or push are my only options.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 PM

umm wrong, you made a mistake with the larger PFR if you made it 3x and got 2 callers you could bet 1200-1400 and have plenty to fold to a raise.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:47 PM

And if they flat call? With the antees in the pot a 3xBB raise would mean the BB only has to call 400 more for a 1725 pot. BB would call almost anything and I don't want to give him the odds.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:28 PM

Bump...

I dont come to this section often but is 3xBB really the new hot thing now? I can't see why I should give anyone good pot odds with 27o and almost even odds with a dominated hand.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 PM

Not so much the new hot thing, but in this case it gives you more options. Betting anything significant on the flop after the 4x raise sounds like it could commit you to the pot. And to be honest, if you aren't going to bet this flop, you're better off pre-flop stealing with 75s than A8.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bump...

I dont come to this section often but is 3xBB really the new hot thing now? I can't see why I should give anyone good pot odds with 27o and almost even odds with a dominated hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you are more of a ring game player.

In MTTs PF raises depend a lot on effective stack sizes. Effective stacks are a much bigger deal than in deep cash games beyond pot odds. Leaving a large portion of your stack behind a bet with no future FE is a huge waste or it forces you to take a bad line as in your case.