Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Was this a bad call or good call?

I need some input from you guys. Some of my friends think this was a questionable play but the villians open push from the button for 9k plus just seemed like he didn't want a call. There was no real reason to try and double up here but I felt I was good here and went with my read.

P.S. This was a private tourney and half the people were playing to win and half the people were playing for sh*ts and giggles.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG (t3964)
UTG+1 (t2724)
MP1 (t7606)
MP2 (t11194)
CO (t5034)
Button (t9321)
SB (t13080)
Hero (t6193)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t9296</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t5768 (All-In).

Flop: (t15239) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t15239) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t15239) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t15239
Old 02-01-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Was this a bad call or good call?

Well, without any strong reads, and the possibility that this guy is just shoving because his beer told him it was a good idea, I guess I don't mind the call. You're probably only a small underdog to his range, if you're a dog at all.

The compelling issue here is that you have 15BB left and need to be thinking about choosing a spot to get your chips in and double up. If you think you're playing much better than the competition and can lock yourself into a better scenario (sooner rather than later mind you), then you could lay this down and just play poker.

Like you said, it's a questionable play, based largely on the attitude of the raiser, your skill level compared to the field, and the probability that your hand is either ahead of (or at least live versus) his range.

--TFGoose
Old 02-01-2007, 06:47 PM

It doesn't look like he had anything. If he had a premium hand, I doubt he would have pushed all in and risked scaring off the whole table, especially when he has position (unless he's a complete donk).

I honestly can't peice together why he'd want to risk over half his stack with a marginal hand though.

It's plays like this that leave my brain in shambles.

Any other reads at all? How has his play been so far?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:59 PM

I didn't have many reads on him except for the fact that he had been raising my blinds the past few orbits and then this happened. He was chatting away about this and that since the tournament started along with the rest of the table. Hopefully that helps.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:01 PM

awful call.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:02 PM

Can you please explain?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:07 PM

he's shoving 22.5 bb into a bigger stack and a 15bb stack unless you know hes shoving any2 the call is really bad. You aren't ahead of his range and def don't have odds to call with an equity greater than that which the pot is offering.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 PM

Doesn't look like I'm going to get anymore input so I guess I'll reveal the villians hand. He turned over pocket 3s with a 3 of clubs and took the pot.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:40 PM

I guess he could have had exactly KJ or something, but realistically you're not beating anything he shoves here and your pot odds suck. Fold.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I need some input from you guys. Some of my friends think this was a questionable play but the villians open push from the button for 9k plus just seemed like he didn't want a call. There was no real reason to try and double up here but I felt I was good here and went with my read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt the need to add this:

Put him on a range of hands! "He doesn't look like he wants a call" isn't one. A lot of people would do this with mid-pairs and AK because they don't want to play postflop with them.