Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Bankroll Management System for Non-Pros

I've come up with a pretty good bankroll management system. It's designed for guys like me who have regular jobs and like trying to move up levels but want to stay a net winner. It's for cash games. It could be applied to tournaments, but the variance is so much higher that the system might not work as well.

You start at a reasonable-low level, let's say 25c/50c. As long as you stay positive you keep playing at that level. When you want to move up one level you can only buy-in with winnings from the previous level. Once you've played that higher level (say 50c/$1), your total available buy-in is the sum of your net for that level and the provious level (25c/50c). If your net gets below the minimum buy-in you can't play that level any more.

If you're a loser at 25c/50c you have to move down to 10c/25c until you're a net winner at the sum of those two levels - enough to buy in to 25c/50c again.

The basic rule, then, is your maximum buy-in for any given level is your net for that level plus the level directly below it.

This rule keeps you playing at levels where you are either winning or have won a significant amount at the level just below. It's a simple rule that isn't too harsh so I apply it to myself very strictly. It won't keep you from blowing off most of your winnings, but it will keep you from going into the red. It does lets you bank your winnings at lower levels. It will keep you making a steady profit (especially if you don't include bonuses and rakeback into your calculations) while maximizing your opportunities to improve and move up.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Management System for Non-Pros

Okay?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:05 PM

this is an article about a simular system that i use it freerolls you into bigger games while earning consistand profit

http://www.ultimatebet.com/learn-pok...?articleID=138
Old 02-27-2007, 02:34 AM

This system is working very well for me. An unexpected benefit is it keeps me focused on the level at hand. In the past if I went up and got slapped back down, it was hard to focus again on the lower level. Now I know I have to focus on the lower level to get enough to go back up. Other money management systems have a similar benefit, but because this rule is so hard and fast you're not as tempted to stretch your requirements.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:39 AM

wow, bankroll management. what a concept.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:32 PM

move up at 40 buyins
move down at 15 buyins

br mgmt is ez
Old 02-27-2007, 10:04 PM

BR management = common sense

there's no "system" per say, your management is just as good as your common sense is really. All depends how much you want to risk when you play.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:46 PM

seriously.... i just made a post that was almost identicle about take each buy in at a low limit and moving up with it til you feel like starting again. it is the same except starting at the bottom instead of the middle. i got no responses and am bitter.... obviously i am htinking about trying thise though.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:48 PM

i disagree... i had no idea that it was not the obvious thing to do, buying in for the max at the biggest table you could afford, when i started. i thought what better way to make money. for real beginners BR lessons are important.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:58 AM

i wish there were a few more guidelines like after 1k hands or 5k hands and ur bb/100 is over 15 go to the next blind level.

But just feel it out, Have enough so u can't play scared, that's key. When you go up a level consider your paying for a lesson, money gone, just play your best. So have another 8 buy ins and play once you get a feeling that you could be doing a higher level.