Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 01:39 PM

Default K6s blind war - Directions to Value Blvd?

BB in this hand is a decent white kid, and one of the few people who can get aggro and even overaggro in this game. He thinks very highly of himself though and pulls some hero [censored] every now and then.

I raise Kh6h from the SB, He 3bets from the BB, I call.

Flop: 8c6c4d

Check, he bets, I raise, he calls.

Turn: 3h

I bet, he calls

River: 2c

C/C, B/C, B/F, B/3/5?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: K6s blind war - Directions to Value Blvd?

Why didn't you mention check-raise? It at least comes to my mind...

But I'm on this odd river check-raising kick.

My thought process is this:

1. I want to check, because I want a lot of the K and Q high hands that you beat to bluff, and because:

a. I think these hands in toto make up at least as big a part of villain's range as do the A high hands.
b. I think some of the A high hands will bet here anyway, some smallish amount of the time.

2. Given that I'm checking, it occurs to me that:

a. We beat a whole lot of hands here. Given your depiction, your opponent might get worried about getting pushed around, and call with a hand like A3 here once check-raised (a hand I think he might well value bet on the river given the description).
b. There are some that we don't beat that might get scared into folding when we raise.

These may seem contradictory: they are, in a way. But that's true of all "value-bluff" situations. We have reasons to believe our opponent might make one of two different kinds of mistakes if we raise, and, though it's guesswork to figure which one he's more likely to do and he might not really do both, we might as well create a situation where he could make one of them.

So there's my argument for check-raising. I don't know if I think it's right, but I think it should be on the list.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:56 PM

Sorry, I will occasionally c/r in this spot, but I don't like it against this guy, because his hero nature will lead to more 3bets with hands I beat than calls with hands I beat, and I'm in no mood to make the river a 3BB street. It's a good line for a slightly different opponent, though. With these types of hands against the heroes, I don't mind the straightforward line to showdown.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:03 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

If he will occaisonally make it 3bets with a hand you beat this seems like the perfect spot to try to look like you are betfolding and then instacall his raise.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:13 PM

No chop? He's calling you down w/a big Ace, bet.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:33 PM

I bet, letting him heroically call you down with A high. I don't expect him to pop the river here with any hands that do not significantly beat you. If he raises, then say hello A5s or a slowplayed set or the similar but I don't expect him to be raising to represent the flush draw here without it.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2007, 02:43 PM

Chopping is retarded. I realized that against most Bellagio 30/60 opponents in blind battles, you're throwing away probably close to like $5 in equity every time you chop. Very few people in that game play blind wars well, and I like having the chance to make decisions against them. Of course, when I'm at the table, I'll use the Josh W line and say I don't chop cuz I've been screwed over by other players' soft chopping policies.

For the record, he said he had AT and was folding (I checked) under the "basically everything got there" clause. I'm inclined to believe him because he gave the semi-grimmace/semi-smile look with the slow head nod when I turned my hand over that made him look like he had the TOP proper play figured out for the river.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's calling you down w/a big Ace, bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-01-2007, 03:32 PM

This guy cant have a FD cuz he would probably 3bet the flop. I also think this guy would probaby 3bet the flop with 5x or 7x, and I certainly think theres a good chance he would do something more aggressive with 8x or some higher overpair. So basically you still have the nuts on the river. Now the question is, is this guy more likely to bluff with Ace high than call with Ace high? The answer to that simple question will reveal the proper river play.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now the question is, is this guy more likely to bluff with Ace high than call with Ace high? The answer to that simple question will reveal the proper river play.

[/ QUOTE ]

More often than not vs the hero type Doug cannot induce a bet with A high, they think their hand will be good on the river but are not willing to risk a bet to make sure they are right.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]