Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Have any of u guys tried the new wireless internet cards?

So I guess verizon has a card so that you can pretty much just tote your laptop around and play poker anywhere. Has anyone tried it and if so how fast/reliable is it?

Thanks in advance,

SB
Old 02-01-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Have any of u guys tried the new wireless internet cards?

I've tried it...works okay as long as you have a good signal. However, if you don't have one yet I would hold out for EVDO Rev. A which should perform better for poker.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I guess verizon has a card so that you can pretty much just tote your laptop around and play poker anywhere. Has anyone tried it and if so how fast/reliable is it?

Thanks in advance,

SB

[/ QUOTE ]

i found it way too slow to use for poker, but i've also heard that others have had better luck. i had the faster verizon card.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:30 PM

I started using the Verizon air card in March '06, and it is mostly fine. I live next to an Air Force base and consequently have fewer towers around. The Verizon card typically gets speeds of about 200-250 kbits/sec at my home which is fine for poker. In other areas it is around 400-500 kbits/sec, which is what Verizon expects. However, at times, in my house, I have had connection problems which are frequent and continual (3-4 times an hour) when they happen. I have not had these problems when I've used the service in areas with better service.

These connection problems have led me to try Sprint's new service. I bought Sprint's air card about a week ago, so far so good. I have not had any connection problems, and the transfer rates are 500-600 kbits/sec at home and 700-900 in other areas, dramtically better than Verizon for the same price.

While these transfer rates are much slower than cable, the service is much more convenient. The only time the difference has been really noticeable is when downloading large graphic or music files, and I haven't done that yet with Sprint.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:37 PM

Verizon just launched EV-DO Rev A
Old 02-01-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
average download speeds of 450-800kbs, and upload speeds of 300-400kbps

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I'm misreading this (likely) those are very similar speeds to what is expected from the existing aircards, and not quite as good as I'm getting from my Sprint air card.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:34 PM

I've been using the Verizon card (the first one they put out, not the new one), and I've been real happy with it. I commute to and from work on a train every day and it works well; I also now bring the laptop in the car and make my girlfriend drive while I "work," which drives her nuts. I live in NYC, so it may be different for smaller markets where the infrastructure is not in place. When I went on vacation to a small town in Florida last month, however, (where I expected it not to work), it worked just as well as in NYC. Maybe the infrastructure is up in more places than I tought.

A few disconnections that are annoying, but all in all much more consistent service than I expected, and well worth the purchase. I'd love to hear more from the Sprint people, or anyone with that new Verizon card someone posted. Although satisfied, I'll spend the money to improve speeds/connections if possible.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:27 PM

i have 2 of them an they work great i live 40 min from seattle an i can play the hole drive tehre wit no disconnect if u play alot of poker its great when your in a tourny an have to leave right away u just grab the laptop an go if your not using the aircards your cheating yourself its as close as u can get to bying time
Old 02-01-2007, 04:29 PM

also works great in restraunts ive been playin many times in places an people see me an think the place has wifi an pull there comps out and i can here them talkin to freinds i cant connect in here for some reason lol
Old 02-01-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also works great in restraunts ive been playin many times in places an people see me an think the place has wifi an pull there comps out and i can here them talkin to freinds i cant connect in here for some reason lol

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO

Same kind of thing here. People think the Long Island Rail Road is a WiFi hotspot when they see me -- then they try to log on.