Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 04:56 AM

Default Odd little jacks hand

Bellagio 30

The opponent in this hand is a little bit kooky. A little overaggressive preflop, and stubborn post-flop...she has some sense, but gets to too many turns, too many rivers, and too many showdowns. Justin also commented that she always seems to leave up a couple racks. If you're a regular, she's the Austrian chick with a thick accent and recently had a kid. Although this was the beginning of my session and I started out playing a little snug, I got the impression she though I was a little maniacal.

So I open with JdJs UTG. Villian calls in the SB and BB comes along too.

Flop is Th2h2s

Checked to me, I bet, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: Qh

check, and I check

River: 2d

She bets, I raise...

I'm really worried about my preflop and flop play, but if you can come up with commentary on the turn and river, feel free.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Odd little jacks hand

I assume you're *not* worried about preflop and flop play, as they are standard. The turn seems like a clear bet/fold against a straightforward player and a check behind if the player is tricky enough to sometimes raise flush draws here but not so frequently that you want to bet/call to induce a bluff.

As far as the river goes, the raise seems a bit thin. Is she calling here with Tx and a flush? I take it that is what your read implies. Would she bet those hands? As long as she won't ever 3bet the river with less than Qx, it looks like a good value raise.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:37 AM

I would have bet/called the turn. When she calls out of SB she's marked with a hand that's not as good as yours but good enough to try something potflop.

The whole defensive check on the turn is better with 6h6--not a monster like you've got. I also don't see her bluffing at the river with Khi or whatever, so you might as well induce a bluffraise now.

Given your turn line, I like the river.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 AM

Turn for me would be close between bet/call and bet/3 bet for a free showdown. Checking seems a distant option.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 AM

Was the ch to induce a bet, or was it expected? Did you think the raise was safe?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:59 AM

Since she is more of a loose caller than an over-aggressive player post-flop,I think that betting the turn & river would be better.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:04 PM

Are you going to return to this thread? Or just hit-n-run post like usual?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:25 PM

Maybe I'll show up for this one. This is the first one I've posted in a long time where I tend to disagree with the majority. I also made a mental commitment to writing 8 blogs for the donkey this month, so I'll be in front of the computer moreso than usual.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:33 PM

A few things about opponent....perhaps a refresher course on what it's like to play vegas regulars [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

She's definitely not tricky, and she's not agressive postflop. Let's put it this way...she took a bunch of heat on the flop and turn and then just called a 3bet on the river on a JTxxQr board with AK, claiming she just wanted to save some time and chop the pot (other dude ended up rivering a set of Qs). She's not the type to win pots that she isn't supposed to win.

If she's exposing herself to paying 4BBs on late streets in a smallish pot, I'm thinking fold first, and then I'd probably talk my way into calling since she might have AhT or something like that.

Maybe that makes my turn check cooler? My thinking was it's the kind of board where she'll probably pay me off with Ax on the river if I show weakness on the turn and a blank hits on the end.

Interestingly enough, Justin took more exception to my river play than my turn play. Hopefully, he'll chime in here. He played a couple of fun ones yesterday he should post as well.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:36 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Given your opponent description you have to bet the turn, especially if she thinks you are manaiacal, although I think this line is occaisonally fine for balance and to keep your opponents uncomfortable.