Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Internet Explorer Problem

I downloaded IE7 when prompted (since it said I could uninstall if I didn't like it). I thought it was awful, so I went to add/remove programs and uninstalled it. Now when I click the IE icon on my desktop, it opens dozens of IE pages and freezes my computer. I just want to somehow get back to the old IE6. I've tried going to add/remove programs and using the "add windows programs" but it doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas?

Note that I have Mozilla too (which is how I'm asking this question), but I'd like to have both for no apparent reason.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Internet Explorer Problem

I just downloaded the IE6 SP1 but it said it could not install because a newer version of IE was already installed. That's funny, as I can't access the internet with IE...
Old 01-31-2007, 10:24 PM

Yeah, that sucked when I had that happen. I've advised everyone I talk to not to load it. Just use firefox or opera and you'll be happier. I haven't used IE in 3 months and am happy.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:30 PM

And people wonder why early adoption of MS products is a bad idea.

Sorry for the unuseful post...but this kind of ties in w/ a lot of the recent Vista posts and people asking if they should upgrade simply because it's available. It's a little different, since IE7 actually does have improvements over IE6...but obv it's got problems as well, which is typical New MS app syndrome.

Only places I've used IE7 on were 2k3 servers, and only used it there to d/l firefox to snag other utilities I needed for the servers. If you've done registry work before, you could search the reg for IE7 entries and delete them, then reboot, then try an IE6SP1 install again. If you can clear the IE7 reg entries, you will no longer get the "newer version installed" error. I haven't done this w/ IE7, but have done so on numerous occasions on other apps from Comodo to Outlook. If you're not an experienced registry tweaker, I wouldn't suggest it since it's possible to render your entire system non-bootable if you muck up the wrong settings.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:30 PM

I'm mostly using Firefox, but there are situations when some pages will only load in IE. Is there any way to get IE6 back or do I have to just bite the bullet and download IE7 again?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:12 PM

I haven't had any pages that won't load - well, I'm using opera and only use firefox here and there.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:32 PM

Yeah I was tricked by their statement that if I didn't like IE7 I could simply uninstall it. Well, that was really a lie by them. I'm not sure what I was expecting, however, it is Microsoft afterall. I'm not really a registry expert, so I don't want to do anything too tricky. I'm more hoping there is a simpler solution.