Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Stupid DOJ Neteller question

This may be a really stupid question but, what would the DOJ most likely do if they were suddenly flooded with emails about the fact that Neteller is not paying anyone? Would they put pressure on Neteller to pay out sooner? They may not want people gambling but, I'm pretty sure that they would be more opposed to them not being able to get to their money.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Stupid DOJ Neteller question

The DOJ has no direct jurisdiction over Neteller. I don't even think that at this point Neteller has had any direct communications with the DOJ.

To answer your question directly, I think the best that could happen is that the DOJ would issue a public statement saying all ewallets should pay all their depositors. Which would leave unanswered the question of how. The real issue now is not that Neteller isn't willing or able to pay, but there is no convenient way to do it right now.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:33 PM

I find it completely baffling that all routes to bring money back into the US are closing so rapidly. Remember when BoS was brought down the DOJ said that all US balances should be paid? Not sure whatever happened to that, but I would think that the government would want to bring as much money as possible back into the US from those sites.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:36 PM

i think BOS didnt pay anyone. can anyone confirm?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:40 PM

(I sent this a little while ago: askdoj@usdoj.gov)

To Whom It May Concern,

In the Internet Gambling Prohibition and Enforcement Act of 2006, Title I, Section 102, it states: "Prohibits any individual from accepting, in connection with the placing of bets or wagers to or from the United States: (1) credit, or the proceeds of credit; (2) electronic funds transfers; (3) checks, drafts, or similar instruments; or (4) the proceeds of any other form of financial transaction as prescribed by Treasury regulations.".

Under this Act, the company, Neteller, was forced to discontinue transfers to/from gambling companies from their US customers. Neteller's ability to electronically tranfer funds to/from their US customers was also stopped. This has created a situation where many Americans are not able to withdraw their remaining balances from Neteller. The Act states nothing about disallowing US citizens to transfer funds from this organization. Does the D.O.J. have a plan to assist US citizens in recovering their money? What is being done to resolve this situation? There are probably millions of dollars that legally belong to Americans that are being withheld due to this enforcement.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:42 PM

Sometimes I wonder if Neteller is intentionally making it difficult for US members to withdraw their money so that they have a bargaining chip to use against the DOJ. The implied threat is that if the DOJ is tough on Neteller, Neteller may just stiff their US account holders out of several hundred million dollars.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:44 PM

Think the response you're gonna get will go something like:

'Tough, dude. Later'
Old 01-31-2007, 02:49 PM

I like it ... very well said.

I don't understand why this situation is not getting more national coverage. It should be on 60 minutes and all the major news organizations.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think the response you're gonna get will go something like:

'Tough, dude. Later'

[/ QUOTE ]

More along the lines of

tl;dr
We'll read this right after we finish rounding up every al Qaeda member. We promise.