Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Late tourny 88 AIl in...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (8 handed) (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Villian has raised to 6000 3 times in last 5 hands. Stole each time without showing cards. Has folded at least once to reraise. Table has had a lot of steals (mostly Villian and two others). Table has seem be me All in with Ats. Haven't defended blinds much. We have 30 left of 799. Real money is 7th and up.

Hero BB <font color="red"> </font> t28456
SB (t12619)
UTG (t16098)
UTG+1 (t7202)
MP1 (t55628)
MP2 (t102358)
CO (t51022)
Button (t22061)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, 8.
i]4 folds[/i]</font>, CO raises to t6000</font>, i]2 folds[/i]</font>, Hero raises to t28456</font>, CO calls t22456.

Should I Call, Push or raise to 10K??
How tight do you play this spot ?? 30th? Smallish stack?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Late tourny 88 AIl in...

You push, and I don't think it's close. Everything you stated in your description of events thus far, including your tendency to not defend your blinds, makes this a must-push.

Calling leaves you out of position with a very vulnerable hand. = BAD

Raising to 10K puts 19K in the pot, with your opponent having to call only 4K. He should make that call with any two cards, you would be putting a third of your money in the middle, and again would be out of position the rest of the hand. = WORSE

You have enough in your stack to deny him good odds to call your bet, and you'd be asking him to put more than half his chips at risk to make that call. So you don't need to Stop N Go here. Just push, and puke when he shows you his KK or whatever that caused you to post this. You made the right play.

--TFGoose
Old 01-31-2007, 12:24 PM

I'd be hard-pressed to script a more ideal resteal-push opportunity. I assume by the fact that you're posting this that he woke up with a big pair or paired up his overs. Too bad, but a push is the right play and don't give it too much thought.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:27 PM

Bad Result was what made me look at the hand. AA.. And flop prob would have made me push if I had miniraised. Flop 9 4 2

If I had 50BB instead of 14BB I would have acted differntly(I hope). Reraise and Fold to a push, but where is the line? Any thoughts
Old 01-31-2007, 02:24 PM

There's a lot written in the MTT anthology about the proper situations for reraising all-in over a raiser. The anthology is your friend if you really want to improve.

But you had a very loose and active raiser, the right stack size (about 15 BBs), and in this case a solid hand (which isn't really necessary for a true resteal, but obviously plays better if you do get called).

Don't get discouraged and better luck next time.

By the way, villain's actions show a nice side benefit of aggression -- your powerhouses are very well concealed by all the raises leading up to them.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:29 PM

With 88, you want to get allin preflop, because you only get action postflop if you are behind. You would like a few more chips for a resteal, but this is an easy push due to villain's aggression and the strength of your hand.