Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Bluff stealing from Card Player?

They seem to think so...

Link to video
Old 01-31-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Bluff stealing from Card Player?

Clearly Bluff = Anti-Semites
Old 01-31-2007, 05:42 AM

It seems Bluff Magazine has some very fundamental problems with ethics.

Read Mason's posts in this thread.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:55 AM

First off, I'm not here to defend or pump up Bluff magazine (even tho i write for them).

However, LOL such a hypocritical joke. Card Player stole their "generation next column" from my column in bluff magazine (for those who haven't seen it it's called "check"). Basically I've been doing it for over a year now, and each issue i profile two up-and-coming pros (past people i've profiled include, JC Tran, Nam Le, Robert Mizrachi, Joe Tehan, Nenad Medic, Darrel Dicken, Noah Boeken, Nick Schulman, etc just to name a few of 20 or so i've done.... I was also fortunate enough to profile them before they had major break throughs).

I submitted my column to both magazines and had equal offers from both to write for them. In fact in the sample column that I used to shop around offers, i specifically pointed out how I want to bring them the "next generation" of poker superstars. What a joke.

Anyway, I chose Bluff, because I (correctly) felt I'd have a little bigger voice within the company, and I liked the fact that they had Antonio Esfandiari, Phil Laak, Tilly and a few other hipsters writing for them (so i figured it'd appeal to a different market). Anyway, after i turned down Cardplayer, I hear from a top pro that the Shulmans are mad and cryin' about it. Then a couple months later they corner the agent who got me the gig, and yell at him for supposedly wasting their time by having them look at my stuff, make me an offer, only to be turned down. Then a couple of months after that, they just steal my idea and come out with "Generation Next" (Which by the way has yet to turn out any superstars). SMD.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:45 PM

Who knows what happened here, but I highly doubt Bluff management told reporters to just copy CP. If an intern did that, the he should be fired, but either way I don't think it reflects on the company itself.

This could be entertaining though. Two of the heavy weights in the business crying about what the other is doing.

I did hear that Barry Shulman told Jeffery Polluck that if he let Bluff be involved with the WSOP last year, Cardplayer was pulling out...lol

Jeffery told CP just to pull out then and gave all the radio rights and some other things to Bluff.

I hear Harah's isn't a big fan of CP, so it will be interesting how this years WSOP plays out. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2007, 04:35 PM

Shulman's act works when dealing with small-time players in the poker community, but not so much when dealing with someone like Pollack.

Tuco.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:36 PM

Funny how the first piece of investigative journalism to come out of card player, ever, is one that directly benefits them and maligns a competitor. Where was this journalistic vigour from the "exclusive content providers," at the World Series last year when players were voicing legitimate complaints about the 6-handed event, chip count scandals etc... Nowhere to be found. What a low brow piece of video that was. Tuning out forever. - Burt
Old 01-31-2007, 05:06 PM

i posted this in publications thread but is also appropriate here:

typically, i would be one of the last people to defend bluff, but that video from cardplayer is ridiculous. i've covered about 20 tournaments the past couple of years and have seen many publications/websites (including cardplayer's interns/reporters) take chip counts from Jen and Heather's work on pokerwire. many of the tournament reporters are friendly and happily share information, but others are more sneaky and just get it from the website. cardplayer's posting of this investigative journalism video is a joke considering that they are guilty of the exact same things that they are accusing bluff of.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:19 PM

It looks to me like a shameless attempt by "rah rah sis boom Belski" to further his own agenda. Not suprising. Nonetheless, disgusting.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:25 PM

That dude from Card Player is such a douche.