Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 02:30 AM

Default bought 4 awesome CDs today

I got a couple of Barnes & Nobles gift cards for Christmas, and finally spent them today. I feel that I made four really good purchases, and after listening to the CDs I'm confident in my decisions. Here are some reviews:

The Shins - Wincing the Night Away

I never heard the entire debut album from the Shins, but I liked the song they had on the Garden State soundtrack. This is a fantastic album, definitly a departure from the mainstream music out there today. Worth a listen, and definitely a relisten.

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

I have been meaning to but this album forever, but never got around to it. A blend of everything good from the 80's, 90's, and 00's less than mainstream rock vein, i.e. Radiohead, R.E.M., etc. A complete and wonderful, if not inventive, album.

Norah Jones - Not Too Late

Another departure for the songstress, who takes Diana Krall, rolls her up in a ball, and says "hey, I may not regurgitate classic standards, but I write my own songs and make exciting, sophisticated, if not subdued arrangements of my own songs and others to create solid music."

A must if you're a fan of the genre, a definite album to check out if you like good music.

John Mayer - Continuum

I am a John Mayer apologist. I bought 'Room for Squares' and loved it, but it wasn't until I saw him on Austin City Limits that I understood how talented he really was.

A clean cut, if not pastuerized, Stevie Ray Vaughn type, 'Continumm' displays all of Mayer's talents: solid songwriting, singing (finally), and lyric writing. The kid is talented, and I think this is only the tip of the iceberg. Even if you don't like him, this is a CD you should own.

Perhaps this should be in the lounge, but I wanted to give some opinions on these. If so, I hope a mod moves it. If not, take a look at these. I'll have some more soon, since there are other CD's and books (as well as gift cards to spend.)

Later!

- Jay
Old 01-31-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: bought 4 awesome CDs today

[ QUOTE ]
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

I have been meaning to but this album forever, but never got around to it. A blend of everything good from the 80's, 90's, and 00's less than mainstream rock vein, i.e. Radiohead, R.E.M., etc. A complete and wonderful, if not inventive, album.

[/ QUOTE ]
I adore this album. Get their other stuff too. And
see I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
....and tell me how it is. I've been meaning to see it.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:47 AM

TBM,

I am trying to break your heart is a *GREAT* music documentary (obviously, even moreso if you're into Wilco). Really well shot and edited, it tells an interesting story and includes fantastic concert footage! I've noticed it's been on one of the movie channels a few times in the past few months, forgot which.

Tweedy released a DVD recently called "Sunken Treasure" - it's a (great) concert DVD, as opposed to the documentary.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:49 AM

is Sam Jones (director) one of our fearless leaders?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:12 AM

john mayer owns and he likes black people hhahahaha