Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 11:13 PM

Default how to play the nuts OOP vs an agressive player?

villian is strassa2 on stars. he plays lots of hands preflop, cbets lots of flop, raises lots of cbets, fires lots of 2nd barrels after cbets. one of the tougher regular opponents but is definately capable of overbluffing when he wants you to fold.

e.g. not too long before this hand i saw on another table he got in in on a Q 9 9 (flushdraw) board for 5k with a somewhat tight opponent. strass has Jd2d for no pair, no draw and other guy had a pair or something and won.

anyways, jason raises in ep/mp to 200 and everyone folds to me in the small blind who calls with 88 with plans of showing down on lowcard boards and snapcalling vs his whiffed AK.

flop comes 8 5 5

what's the first thing that comes into mind when you think about building a huge pot oop? this is a very dry board so i may be able to get a lot of action here if he has past knowledge that i can play back at the PFR on dry boards which i believe i have proved in the past.

that probably should have been my first thought in mind so i should have probably lead for 3/4 pot or check raised 2.5 to 3x his flop bet but instead i take a turn for the worst

i check and call his $300 flop bet

at this point, jasons range hasn't changed but jason probably puts me on a strong ace, a pair, the rare 76, a five, or a fullhouse. he probably doesn't figure i would check call a cbet oop with a hand that is likely dominated like KT, KQ, QJ, QT, etc.etc. fish do that. i don't think jason views me as a fish (at least not a loose passive one).

turn comes an innocent duece making backdoor flush draw and i lead for $400 into a $1050

sketchy play huh? he may view that as a pocket pair taking a stand or big flush draw (AK, AQ, AJ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

jason raises to $1300

wow he's giving me a lot of action! at this point i am reall stumped though because i think if i shove he may be able to fold a hand as strong as AA if he thinks i am only doing this with 5x though he probably thinks i'll do it with more like an overpair, 67 sometimes, backdoor flushdraw, and of course monsters.

so i bugged out, and miniraised and he folded.

anyone like to call his turn raise in this spot and check and pray he bluffs/mis value bets river? i think if i call here he knows i am very strong and will not bluff river very often without a better read on me that i regularly put in 1/2 my stack oop to fold on the river.

comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Re: how to play the nuts OOP vs an agressive player?

def checkraise the flop. that's what your doing with air right?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:25 PM

Wow vs someone like Strassa check raising the flop might be the best idea. Wouldn't you do the same with hands like AQ (bluff) or perhaps a small PP? I think check-raising that flop is the easiest way to get him to 3-bet over you with his air hands and sometimes his overpairs.

Your turn play is way retarded. If you chceck/call flop and turn went like that, I would call turn and check river.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:30 PM

i'd check call make it look like i wanted to get to a showdown as fast as possible with 66-TT type hands, or 87 or something; if I donked the turn like you did Jesus Christ reminraising has to be the worst play there... anyways, I'd play it slow and let him try to get you off of it with three bullets, and he's a value monkey so if in fact the turn does go check check, I'd check the river again becuase he's definitely v-betting almost any hand he's calling with.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:47 PM

Yeah it seems like the logical follow-up for your flop line is to check both turn and river and represent a small pocketpair that strassa can try push off or value bet super thin. The other line is to represent a flop bluff-raise and hope that strassa re-steals light.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:48 PM

Grim,

As played, I'd think a while and call his turn raise then quickly check any river and immediately CRAI.

But in your spot v strassa I'm checkraising the flop.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Grim,

As played, I'd think a while and call his turn raise then quickly check any river and immediately CRAI.

But in your spot v strassa I'm checkraising the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like this line, but combined w/ his tiny flop bet I think I like it less. I like pot, check-call check-raise--you've played many hands vs me like that and it works well
Old 01-31-2007, 02:03 AM

No offense, I can't even think of a worse line than you took.
This could be a lack of creativity on my part.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:01 AM

I like your turn play, I definately call and check any river as played. Also if you want to reraise the turn I think a big reraise is better than a small one.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 AM

anyone like leading the river as a fake blocking bet? I use it occasionally, seems like a good play given your line to this point.

I think you need to and can mix up your lines quite a bit here with this flop and turn, and I actually like the call/lead turn line quite a bit.